• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sim toolkit app icon

phoenix4747

Oct 24, 2023
Hi all, everytime i turn my phone on an app icons displayed on my phone called sim toolkit. In my apps i have 2 x sim toolkit apps (phone only takes 1 sim) and another app that says o2 sim that has the same logo as the sim toolkit app. What is it and what shall i do about it?

"SIM toolkit or SIM Application toolkit (STK) is a feature that allows your SIM card to perform various additional functions that are provided by your carrier or service provider. The SIM toolkit app offers various value-added services, such as utility services (providing information about missed calls, and international calls), news, jokes, customer care, astrology, caller tunes, sports scores, ringback tones, and feedback"

Should note, that not all carriers provide SIM toolkit.

Reactions: phoenix4747
Upvote 0
It was probably there all along, though system updates can change these things.

It's not unknown for service providers to include their own apps as well when the phone is bought through them, so the O2 app is probably one that they pre-installed on the phone. Is the icon very distinctive, or completely generic? It might be coincidence that they have the same icon, or even that neither has an icon and you are just seeing Android's default icon (though that normally has an "android" theme rather than looking in any way like a SIM).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones