• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey every I am new to android for about 3 weeks now. I currently have a Skyrocket which I love just about everything about it except for the battery life. I know I cant expect multiple days of life as with my old "dumb phone" but I just dont know if I should keep it or not. I have about one week left in my 30 day return period and ever since I got the phone I have been reading everything I can about it and its battery life. I went to take it back at one point to get the SII (i777) but the guy at the store convinced me to keep it for a little longer to see if it would get any better and also told me that the battery on the SII is smaller, so having the smaller screen on the SII wouldnt make a difference and they would be about the same battery life. I am wondering if you think it would be better to take it back and get the SII, possibly try to return and get a different Skyrocket, or keep it and root the phone to look for a ROM that would provide better battery life? I currently get about 14 hours of pretty light use with the display turned all the way down and if I making lots of calls, on the internet, or playing games it is greatly reduced. I just dont know if I would see much of a difference with the SII because it is hard to compare just by reading what others say and I really would like to keep the phone because it is awesome in every other way plus I already have a screen protector and case for it. Any advise or suggestions that anyone has as to what the best thing to do would be greatly appreciated because I have about a week left to figure it out. Thanks

i'm light use on a skyrocket and get good battery performance. i use the free juice defender app along with casually monitoring what the phone is doing app wise and get about 2 days on a charge. i'm sure the sII is a good phone too.

some things will drain your battery pretty quick and others won't.

Upvote 0
Are you rooted on your skyrocket? The best I have gotten is about 18-20 hours of almost doing nothing, I tried juice defender for a little bit and it seemed as if it made my battery worse. I never have wifi, or bluetooth on, gps only when I need it. I have even removed the facebook and stock weather widgets thinking it might be them but it still doesnt seem to be very good. I am not in an LTE area, nearby Portland and I am not sure when it will be coming. I have no problem with the speeds that I am getting but would only consider switching to the SII if was going to get me better battery life.

Upvote 0
I have a Skyrocket and my wife has an SII and honestly the battery life is about the same on both devices. Mine is currently at 68% after 10 hours with moderate use, hers is at 72% after 8.5 hours with moderate use. My advice: keep the Skyrocket. Its a more "future proof" phone since it's LTE enabled and AT&T's LTE rollout is fairly aggressive.

Upvote 0
I have a Skyrocket and my wife has an SII and honestly the battery life is about the same on both devices. Mine is currently at 68% after 10 hours with moderate use, hers is at 72% after 8.5 hours with moderate use. My advice: keep the Skyrocket. Its a more "future proof" phone since it's LTE enabled and AT&T's LTE rollout is fairly aggressive.
Thanks. Can you tell me if you are in an LTE area or if you have been to one to experience what the battery is like there? I have decided im going to keep the skyrocket unless I hear that the LTE just kills it really fast which I have been trying to find out but cant find personal experiences with it.

Upvote 0
GPS should only affect your battery life if you are running an app that uses GPS; otherwise, it is not activated. Apps that use it are generally easy to identify, such as Facebook, Google Maps, and any of those "friend tracking" apps.

But even most of those can have their use of GPS disabled in settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones