• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So glad verizon isnt doing this with the droid

Let's put it this way. Unless I control every bit of information that my phone sends and receives this is too much of a risk for my to justify a smart phone. Furthermore I submit that advertising that is embedded in many apps is basically stealing from me. There is obviously more too it but my current droid sends/receives a lot of information I DO NOT WANT. Even the new iphone has started to become infiltrated with adds. Capped data with adds is a really really bad idea. I have a feeling the google has something up there sleeves in regards to this. It's likely I will not renew my contract and buy phones out right until LTE forces a plan change..in case google makes some announcement in the next couple years.

I've long hated contracts anyway. They are legally incredibly underhanded. The contract it self is so one sided that any court in the US would through it out. Of course the carriers know this so they add the clause of arbitration making it impossible to reach a US court. As I get older I find that I'm more willing to do without certain things if I have to give up peace of mind. This is one of these things. Cell phones are not a necessity, smart phones are so even less.

I'm with you bud. Id rather get a dumbphone on cricket than pay on a data capped smartphone.

Something tells me AT$T is going to lose A LOT of smartphone business in the next few years.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
No more unlimited data? First Apple did it, now Verizon is toying with the same thing! :eek:

Verizon Wireless eyeing tiered data service | Wireless - CNET News
We may be grandfathered in for the time being, but be assured that if there's a buck to be made, VZW will make it.

So can anyone please explain why everyone keeps showing 600-800 mb as so OUTRAGEOUS and network destroying!!! I mean good lord I use like 5-8 GBS!!!! Also many of us do here too so I find it beyond sad that AT&T is crushing with such a tiny load and that people think 600 mb is so exorbitant. i figured the i-phone was like 10 Gb which the complaints of it being so horrific with data that it was ruining AT&T and would ruin Verizon too yet we see we use beyond anything they ever imagine and are fine! Where are they getting these figures? i mean on my blackberry i used like 1 gb with very heavy usage so I guess I see it but these new phones I do not get why they suck up so much good lord. Can anyone explain why the droid is so bad with data over the I-phone which apparently uses less than 2 Gb for heavy users and why my blackberry with e-mail browser, youtube and podcast downloads never got over 1gb without having wi-fi which I use at home always with my droid?

Upvote 0
It would be helpful if there was a tool within the android phone/OS itself that shows you how much data it is using or has been using. So you can gauge.

I'm a bit late to the party, but 3g watchdog is a nice little free data tracking app. You can enter in your bill cycle and a cap (smartphone plans on vzw are true unlimited currently unlike data cards which are 5gb per month) and see where you are for the month in real time.

Upvote 0
For the average user 2gig should be more than enough. I rarely use 300mb a month with heavy internet/map/navigation/youtube/facebook usage. I even monitored usage on my dads iPhone and over a weeks period we spent in Mexico, we barely used a few megabytes, and that was with a lot of internet browsing. In short, 2gb is fine for the average customer. I know several iPhone/Android owners that buy these phones and don't use data heavily and it would appear those are the majority of customers these plans were designed for.

Upvote 0
petitions, emails, etc. are a waste of time IMO. as long as you keep paying them and signing new contracts you might as well tell them you agree with the changes. if one carrier is doing things you don't like, switch to another. if enough people left VZW or AT&T they wouldn't have any choice but to bow down to customers' demands. MONEY TALKS. just my .02

Upvote 0
For the average user 2gig should be more than enough. I rarely use 300mb a month with heavy internet/map/navigation/youtube/facebook usage. I even monitored usage on my dads iPhone and over a weeks period we spent in Mexico, we barely used a few megabytes, and that was with a lot of internet browsing. In short, 2gb is fine for the average customer. I know several iPhone/Android owners that buy these phones and don't use data heavily and it would appear those are the majority of customers these plans were designed for.

I do a lot of Pandora streaming and video watching. I can promise you I use a lot more than 2gb. As do most people who stream music.

Upvote 0
I'm considering geting a smartphone, and honestly I'm not too worried about a capped data plan.
Wi-fi at home and at my college and a microSD card to store all my music seems to me like it should take care of most of my data usage problems.

I'm on a dumbphone right now. I don't use *any* data right now. I'm...not particularly happy, but I survive. A smartphone isn't a necessity. Much less streaming music constantly (which seems to be what most people are using a lot of their bandwidth on), especially when an alternative like keeping a music library on physical memory is more than sufficient.
Add in that a lot of companies (Starbucks, McDonald's, several hotel chains, etc.) offer free wifi and I honestly don't see how more than a couple gigs of data on 3G is necessary to any but the most hardcore data users.

Upvote 0

This argument doesn't make sense. 2 Gigs is what a small percentage is using TODAY, because 4G has just gotten started. In that article the guy said that smartphones make up 17%, and they expect that to go to 70%. They are heavily promoting "smart phones" as being able to watch/stream video and audio. They are promoting these devices like you can carry your t.v. in your pocket. When services like netflix come to android (already on iphone) and people start using them for that purpose, the megs per user will go way up.

If they're supposedly not worried about the "average" consumer, then why lower everyone's cap to 2Gigs? Only a small percentage are going over that, so why not 5 gigs? 10 gigs? The fact is that AT&T announced this on the day the iphone 4 came out for a reason. The video chat on the iphone was reduced to wifi only for a reason.

They expect people to start streaming more and more, and that costs bandwidth. Now, maybe VZW's new LTE service won't be able to handle unlimited and be fair to everyone (in order to keep good service), but then just say that's the reason. Or, cap it higher, like 5 gigs.

In the first day of the internet, actually before that....services like AOL charged by the minute. When competition came, also in came the flat priced plans. When AT&T, Sprint and VZW all have decent 4G networks, one of them will start the ball rolling again to get customers, by guaranteeing some flat rate. But we might have to wait until 2013 or 2014 to get it again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones