• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Someone help asap!!!! I want root

OK, I am into the second video in the "manual root instructions, and at the part where you go into device manager, My phone keeps showing up in other places besides "Other Devices." I checked my programs, and I don't have any HTC Drivers installed, so my PC should be seeing my phone as an unknown device shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong here?

Upvote 0
OK, I am into the second video in the "manual root instructions, and at the part where you go into device manager, My phone keeps showing up in other places besides "Other Devices." I checked my programs, and I don't have any HTC Drivers installed, so my PC should be seeing my phone as an unknown device shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong here?

i dont really know how to help u here, i never had problems with adb(i had it set up from when i had my D1 and all i had to do to get it to recognize my tbolt was install htc sync...i think...i dont really remember setting it up, it was like 4 months ago)

Maybe someone who used the method in the second video can help?

EDIT:Could u possibly use this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009419
to set up ADB for ur tbolt, it says it includes the htc drivers

Reactions: stauren1203
Upvote 0

You need to configure the google-usb-drivers to see the thunderbolt. I think that's your problem. This is what allows ADB to see the thunderbolt. Once ADB sees your phone you're on the right track. The only other issue you might run into is when you put in the first command it may give you an error message about the file path. You also may end up with two folders named 'andoid-sdk-drivers' just drag the file containing 'google-usb_driver' 'platform-tools' and 'tools' into the larger 'android-sdk-drivers' folder. This will fix the error message so the paths match. You only need to do this if you're getting an error message, otherwise start copy and pasting the code and you'll be rooted in less than 20min.

Find 'android_winusb.inf'

Copy and paste the script I have below, directly under 'Google.NTx86' and 'Google.NTamd64' into the window that pops up when you double click 'android_winusb.inf

; HTC Thunderbolt
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA4
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA4&MI_01

This is the first part of the 2nd video, and why I think you're having problems.

Upvote 0
congratulations! your cigar and blazer are on the table :cool:

if youre serious about donations,the creator of the method you just used requestd donations be made to a charity of your choice.

another good option(to me at least) would be to donate to one of our many great developers so that they contiune to develop for us. my personal reccomendation would be slayher,but feel free to try a few roms and pick someone based on your favorite :)

*make sure you delete the custom RUU PG05IMG from your sd card at this time.

*please see the sticky thunderbolt roms thread for links to roms,and the [How to] sticky for some guides to flashing,wiping,and making backups.

enjoy your newfound power :)

Upvote 0
Congratulations! you'll think you have a completely new phone once you see the possibilities.

One thing to keep in mind is that right now a lot ROMs are built off of a different radio than the one you flashed during the rooting process. Any of the Gingerbread ROMs except for CM7 will use the MR2 radio.

Read up on flashing different radios, its probably the most risky thing you can do, and you'll want to do it right.

Oh, and I would purchase root explorer from the market right away too. The Pro version of titanium backup is worth the cost as well IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones