• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AndyHaf

Apr 5, 2023
Product Name
any Android tablet
Speech to text (as used for e-mail and text messaging) is common on Android phones but I find nothing for Android tablets. Doing e-mail from a Anfroid tablet is simple enough and more than a few people like to talk their e-mail content rather than type it.
Is there any basic reason speech to text should be more difficult for a tablet than for a phone (seems unlikely to me)?
Are there ways to do speech to text on a tablet?

most samsung tablets have a mic. so it should have speech to text. just checked my samsung tab A. it has a mic and does speech to text.....so i'm not sure i understand what you are talking about. what tablet do you have?
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I can find nothing in the user manual about speech to text and nothing about speech to text on any Android tablet under several general web searches using various search parameters.

Where do you find speech to text on the Tab A?
I would greatly appreciate a step by step movement from the home screen to the actual activation.
How do you access it?

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I can find nothing in the user manual about speech to text and nothing about speech to text on any Android tablet under several general web searches using various search parameters.

Where do you find speech to text on the Tab A?
I would greatly appreciate a step by step movement from the home screen to the actual activation.
How do you access it?
Ok well. It's not like a phone that has speech to text. But I was able to use it on my keyboard..... which is a Samsung keyboard. I just hit the microphone and I was able to send an email....... so yeah it's different than a phone.

Upvote 0
Ok well. It's not like a phone that has speech to text. But I was able to use it on my keyboard..... which is a Samsung keyboard. I just hit the microphone and I was able to send an email....... so yeah it's different than a phone.
That was rather cryptic but by searching on keyboard instead of text to speech in the user manual I was able to find references to "Google Voice Typing" and "Voice input" and see that it claims to be possible. How is it "not like a phone that has speech to text", other than needing to use other than the default keyboard?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones