• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Need help getting MSL

Spoke to CS yesterday. When I was done with my billing issue (Any minor issue will due) I asked her very politely if she would give me my MSL/SPC. Of course she asked why I wanted it and I told her I just got a 16 gb SD card and I wanted to use it to double my internal memory so I need the MSL... totally bogus of course but she was just CS and didn't have a clue. So she gave it to me. :rolleyes: If the one you may talk to won't the next probably will.

Upvote 0
you dont need your msl to change your prl man... you go to your dialer, type ##3282# (3282 = data), hit view, hit prl write, and hit the prl write button and your phone will install the new prl then reboot and youre done... all this is provided that you have the .prl file on the root of your internal storage. If you need ANY of sprints prls, check the post i put up regarding that which, btw, also contains the straight vzw prl and the hybrid sprint/vzw prl... have any ?'s, hit me up man, but you dont need your msl to change your prl. Matter of fact the msl will do you NO good whatsoever for that purpose

Upvote 0
just curious as to why youd be posting stuff in the S3 forum anyways since you obviously dont have one to comment upon...

I have owned several htc devices and this apk works for them... I also know many offline people who have other android devices that are rooted that arent from htc and it doesnt work on them (moto, lg, other samsung devices....)

Upvote 0
I never found an app that worked with my Sprint SGS3 to get MSL. I had to run a terminal emulator script that was based off of something viperboy wrote for the GNex. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

Edit: Found the thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745888

Extract the files into the /system/bin folder, install Terminal Emulator, then run the script. If it doesn't come up with anything, then go into the dialer, hit ##DATA# (##3282#), tap edit, then type in anything. It will fail (unless you're lucky enough to guess your MSL). Then go back, after failing, and try running the script again. It'll give you your MSL this time. Write it down.

Upvote 0
I mentioned how to get the MSL not only for the sake of answering the OP, but in case other people find this thread via Google, some other search engine, or simply browsing the forums looking to obtain their MSL.

Was your post directing the user on how to change PRL without a MSL helpful? Yes, and thank you for that. Now the OP (and other users looking to do the same thing) have options if they want to do a similar operation.

Reactions: jhill110
Upvote 0
Sidenote... Jero, the only reason i was so adamate about squashing the talk about the MSL is because it seems like the guy from the op (for some reason or another) believes that you need your MSL to change the prl. Imnowhere near innocent when it comes to threadjacking, but the op and the guys second post are solely about changing the prl and it seems like talk about proxies are muddying up the very straightforward answer to the reason behind the original inquiry, which was merely to change the prl. This thread got really far away from the point.

Bperry, look man, if youre only reason for making this post was to change your prl. then read this and apply the steps in the instructions man...

http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/619376-many-many-many-sprint-prls.html

oh, and if youre getting bad reception at home and have a broadband connection, ask sprint for an airave. Its a device that uses your inet connection to creates (for all intents and purposes) a cell tower in your residence. I have one and it works great, but i use the verizon prl anyways cuz i like sticking a white hot poker in sprints eye LOL

Upvote 0
no, it doesnt change your calls to anytime minutes, but youre now ALWAYS ROAMING!!! (sorry for yelling LOL)

what a PRL is a preferred roaming list - a list that tells the phone what towers to connect to under whatever situation.

Sorry for the explanation, but its essential for you to know that for this next bit, the hybrid prl is one that uses sprint towers for calls and vzw for data, and (dont quote me on this bit) i think it makes the phone switch to vzw transceivers at a much easier to reach threshold. The phone wont switch to roaming unless a signal metric floor has been passed. I think this raises the floor...

Upvote 0
I'd hafta look again for which one the hybrid is. I use the straight vzw one for about 28 days of the month then I flash back to the normal one and download a huge file over and over again to build up "in network usage". I do this to avoid getting booted by sprint (again) for having too high of a roaming percentage. I did this prl when I was on the og evo and got booted after approx 18 mos of continuous use.

Here's what you should do. Use the vzw prl for the vast majority of the month on calls and data, then download random crap and delete it for the sole purpose of having a normal amount of in network usage. If you exceed a certain threshold for x amount of months in a row, they can and will boot you with no etf. If you want out of sprints contract without penalty, then just use the 00001 prl and it'll eventually happen by itself lol

Oh, and for at home signal improvement, seriously ask sprint for an airave. It seriously works man :)

Upvote 0
Lo I have an airave already but will probably stay on Verizon prl because i hate Sprint and their lack of customer service. Also I'm sick of paying 10 per line per month for a non existent 4g service. I may just start downloading a shitload of data so I cam get cancelled. If I do that does it cancel all phones on the contract or just the offending phone?

This will suck if they just cancel the offending phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones