• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] What is the probability of getting phone bricked when unlocking/rooting?

willmon22

Jun 17, 2013
I have only rooted phones that don't have hboot. Or at least I don't think they had it. All I have ever really had to do was just run an app like towel root or any other rooting app that happens to work for the phone I was using it on. And of course if I wanted to get a custom recovery installed to get a better rom. So I am just wondering what the probability of getting the phone bricked if I was to do something wrong. I am really wanting to just get the phone rooted and relock it and keep the stock recovery. Other than that I am just wanting to know is if I do get bricked with the usual method that is out is if it is easy enough to fix like any other android phone as I have never gotten any of my phones truly bricked yet but they have been nothing like this one. Also for further information I have the latest updates for the phone as I went through everything in the update like the software and firmware and stuff.

I have only rooted phones that don't have hboot. Or at least I don't think they had it. All I have ever really had to do was just run an app like towel root or any other rooting app that happens to work for the phone I was using it on. And of course if I wanted to get a custom recovery installed to get a better rom. So I am just wondering what the probability of getting the phone bricked if I was to do something wrong. I am really wanting to just get the phone rooted and relock it and keep the stock recovery. Other than that I am just wanting to know is if I do get bricked with the usual method that is out is if it is easy enough to fix like any other android phone as I have never gotten any of my phones truly bricked yet but they have been nothing like this one. Also for further information I have the latest updates for the phone as I went through everything in the update like the software and firmware and stuff.

There's always a possibility with any device that something could go wrong during the unlocking/rooting process and you could end up with a soft brick or at worst a hard brick.
Just make sure that you follow the unlocking and rooting procedure to a "T". Read, read and read until you completely understand the process and feel comfortable in doing it.
Make sure that all your bases are covered and that your prepared for anything, if something should happen and don't be deterred by the hboot.
If your unsure... Don't be afraid to ask for help and assistance. There are no dumb questions and no one here on AF is going to bust your chops. Its always better to be safe than sorry.
With that said... Chances of you bricking your device, as long as you follow the guide exactly, are really slim to none.

Upvote 0
Well I found a one click root package from xda developers that essentially does the same thing. Except it is noob proof by it basically doing everything with just the click of a button for each step. I am just worried about the step about getting the unlock code to put into the htc site. As I don't have an internet connection without my phone and the internet isn't going to be on when it is in the bootloader. So I am going to be trying this kit and hopefully it will be fine to boot into the phone after aquiring the key to temporarily go online to get the unlock.bin to be able to go back into the bootloader and use the unlock.bin. I will let you know how it goes and hopefully nothing will go wrong.

Upvote 0
So I decided to try to root/unlock my phone and I just seemed to run into problem after problem. First when I was trying to adb into it my device it kept saying failed to start
daemon and what not. Eventually I figured out something was using the adb on the phone already. So I closed the other adb and then tried again and then it started it fine just
it decided to keep saying offline. And I read lots of stuff online and found that it needed the newer adb pack or whatever. So then I got that downloaded and it still kept
saying offline and didn't have a rsa prompt up at all. Then later I found that I had to unlock the screen then it would appear. Usually I wouldn't have to do this. Anyways
after that it finally decided to work. So then after that everything was going great until I tried to use the twrp recovery I flashed. It came to the screen and the touch scren
wasn't working nor the volume rockers. So I restarted it and went back into recovery still nothing. Then I found that I aparently didn't have a new enough version so I found
the latest version and it worked fine. Except when I went to try to get root done it decides that it doesn't want to mount system or anything. It shows little to nothing and
I can't find the superuser that I pasted to the root of the sdcard. I can see it fine in android just not in the recovery. It kept saying it wouldn't mount system cache and
other things. So I tried to find a way to push the zip to where I needed to put it but it kept saying operation failed. What am I doing wrong? Can I please get some help so
I can get this thing rooted. It is really starting to annoy me I just keep running into brick walls that I have to somehow find away around them.

Upvote 0
Well I tried sideloader as well. And it decided to say that it couldn't read it. Then I figured out that you apparently need to add .zip to the end. Well I did that and it then said device not found. So I then found I had to install the adb driver for the sideloader as it makes it unknown when in sideloader mode. So I did that and it pushed it but it never made my phone have root access. Why must I have so much trouble doing this?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I found it pushed the sideload.zip to the phone and I tried to flash it later. Well it said it was successful but it wasn't. It can't access system and other partitions. Can someone please let me know how I can fix this. I really want to get root on my phone. Thank you.

how are you trying to access these partitions ? root explorer ? have you enabled r/w access to each folder ?

are you using an insecure kernel so the changes actually stick ?

what rom did you sideload ?

Upvote 0
As I had said I am on the latest stock and haven't flashed anything but the recovery and I am tying to get root. But since the recovery can't access the right partitions I can't successfully flash root. So I guess I should ask what kernel do I need to flash and will it be able to even though it can't access the system partitions.

Upvote 0
As I had said I am on the latest stock and haven't flashed anything but the recovery and I am tying to get root. But since the recovery can't access the right partitions I can't successfully flash root. So I guess I should ask what kernel do I need to flash and will it be able to even though it can't access the system partitions.

If you flash TWRP from here
Techerrata Downloads - Browsing m7wls

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m7wls.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

and SuperSU from here
SuperSU Download

you should be all set

Upvote 0
Well it works now. I am guessing the image was corrupt since I flashed over an older version. So after rebooting the bootloader the recovery actually disappeared. So I downloaded the recovery from the link you gave me and I got it flashed. And went into the recovery and it actually showed all of the partition and it didn't say it couldn't mount any of the partitions so the su that I got from your link flashed fine. So now I am rooted on 100% stock rom with the latest updates. Thank you for the help I most likely would have never figured this out.

Upvote 0
Well it works now. I am guessing the image was corrupt since I flashed over an older version. So after rebooting the bootloader the recovery actually disappeared. So I downloaded the recovery from the link you gave me and I got it flashed. And went into the recovery and it actually showed all of the partition and it didn't say it couldn't mount any of the partitions so the su that I got from your link flashed fine. So now I am rooted on 100% stock rom with the latest updates. Thank you for the help I most likely would have never figured this out.

Good to here ...glad you got it sorted out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones