• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint's 4G network or T-Mobile's HPSA+

Robfactory

Sep 24, 2009
East Coast
So I've been reading up on Tmo's implementation of their 3G network and out of the blue comes HSPA+ which is being tried out in Philly. Based on what I've seen and read Sprint seems to have the upper hand in implementation and delivery of their 4G network as Tmo seems years away from delivering this technology to all US cities and areas.
How long do you guys think it will take T-Mo to compete with Sprint's data network?

Well most companies now days demand a contract unless you pay as you go or take over someone's expiring contract, which you might want to take a look at.
I'm currently torn between t-mo and sprint.
I have 4 lines with T-mo, but sprint's price plan, data network and feature vs. price seems to beat t-mo hands down.

I only hear about Sprint's Customer Service(cs) and sometimes about their call quality, but very few bad comments about their data network, which most of these phone really rely on.

Upvote 0
So I've been reading up on Tmo's implementation of their 3G network and out of the blue comes HSPA+ which is being tried out in Philly. Based on what I've seen and read Sprint seems to have the upper hand in implementation and delivery of their 4G network as Tmo seems years away from delivering this technology to all US cities and areas.
How long do you guys think it will take T-Mo to compete with Sprint's data network?

Sprint currently has what? 4 major citys with WiMax right now, with several more, including Chicago (yey me) before the end of the year. We will also start to see handset sometime in 2010 that support WiMax.

Im not so much worried about competing with HSDPA as I will be once AT&T and Big Red get their LTE roll out started. From what I have read, T-Mos parent company was looking to utilize WiMax and/or buy part of ClearWire, which is 51% owned by Sprint.

Sprint had a pretty large head start on thier WiMax over the roll out of LTE. And they are going to need it, cause as much as I like Sprint, LTE is the future.

Upvote 0
The Wimax network that clearwire has established can be converted over to LTE by a program.... supposedly said it can be done in 24 hours but has a price tag of a few million...

I was unaware of that fact. Now I must do more research. Thanks.

Edit:
Found something that says its just software upgrade to convert, and also explains why Deutsche Telekom was looking into Clearwire in the first place.

Upvote 0
I read this article on the differences between WiMax n LTE. HERE
Seems as if LTE is being pushed by GSM companies including Verizon while the only mobile phone company pushing WiMax is Sprint.
WiMax seems like a short term solution based on the article. It's cheaper to implement, but ultimately LTE can handle more bandwidth and seems like the way of the future. Unless, WiMax can come up with some software tweak.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones