• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock Email app doesn't work offline

nickc71

Oct 28, 2009
I tried to use the stock email app offline while on a plane today and it would let me read and reply. But it wouldn't let me move messages or delete them, I would get the following message: Network unavailable, please try again later.

Does anybody know why this is? The gmail app works fine offline in this manner as does my other android phone email apps I've used.

I got the same messages for both a Gmail and an exchange account while offline in this app.

Thanks!

A POP3 account stores messages on the phone, so you don't have to be online to move or delete them (but you can't get new ones or send any). An IMAP account keeps messages on the server, so you have to be online to do anythng with them.

Evidently your stock app is set as an IMAP account and your Gmail app is set as a POP3 account. That's usually set automatically by the server when you first set up the account, and you have to set it up manually of you want to change it.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones