• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

Yeah, not working for me either now, and now I've foobar'd my phone. :/

That sucks can you still flash anything? I've moved on to the CAF Cyanogenmod 11 Rom and Swap works. There are some issues like video but video works where I want it. I have it set up with a 128 GB Micro-SD card partitioned with a 2.5GB Fat32 for external_SD, 114GB EXT4 for Link2SD and Linux Chroot, and a 2.5GB SWAP to help with RAM. I have also turned on the ZRAM function using 431MB for Compressed SWAP that is a bit faster than the other SWAP partition. If I need more space than external_SD or internal provides I just "mount -o bind" whatever directory needing the space to the bigger EXT4 partition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sucks can you still flash anything? I've moved on to the CAF Cyanogenmod 11 Rom and Swap works. There are some issues like video but video works where I want it. I have it set up with a 128 GB Micro-SD card partitioned with a 2.5GB Fat32 for external_SD, 114GB EXT4 for Link2SD and Linux Chroot, and a 2.5GB SWAP to help with RAM. I have also turned on the ZRAM function using 431MB for Compressed SWAP that is a bit faster than the other SWAP partition. If I need more space than external_SD or internal provides I just "mount -o bind" whatever directory needing the space to the bigger EXT4 partition.
Yeah, I'm back up and running now. Had to wipe everything and start over because the version of TWRP I had installed doesn't install img files for some reason and I couldn't get the stock kernel installed to recover. CM has some flaws that I can't work around so I'm not using that.

Upvote 0
I can not seem to get decent performance. I am on intellidemend and sio I/o but I am oftenly freezing up when I open apps, takes forever, sometime I can't even get back to the home screen. Forced to take the battery out but that is only a few times. Don't know what it is only apps I use are facebook/insta/snapchat/and a few apps to practice music. I don't run them at the same time. I also always clear my ram but I still freezing like every five mins. Any ideas?

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0
Just an idea but I was seeing behavior like that when I had a bad external sd card. Sometimes just slow, sometimes the whole phone would lock up for like 5 minutes at a time and then suddenly start reacting again. A reboot would help for a while. Took the card out and began wiping the phone to return it and realized it wasn't locking up anymore...

Upvote 0
I cannot figure out for the life of me why when I compile using the Toolkit that I never can get the touchscreen working. The touchscreen works fine if I use your precompiled kernel that you posted at the OP or if I use the stock kernel. Any ideas guys?

Having the exact same problem. The precompiled kernel is working great, but I wanted to poke around and experiment with it. Installed Ubuntu 14.04 fresh. Grabbed the kernel source, toolkit, etc. Compile seems to go well, but can't even get past my lockscreen without touch working, and obviously have no way to know what else isn't working, either.

So has anyone else ever successfully compiled this kernel?

Upvote 0
Having the exact same problem. The precompiled kernel is working great, but I wanted to poke around and experiment with it. Installed Ubuntu 14.04 fresh. Grabbed the kernel source, toolkit, etc. Compile seems to go well, but can't even get past my lockscreen without touch working, and obviously have no way to know what else isn't working, either.

So has anyone else ever successfully compiled this kernel?

Still have no clue why touchscreen won't work on compile for you guys. Only thing I can think of is your missing a package on Ubuntu somewhere that's needed for module and driver compilation.

It's been so long ago since I used a guide to set up my build machine that I couldn't possibly link the thread I used. If it matters at all I'm using make v4, openjdk 7 something or other and Ubuntu 15.04.

Edit: come to think of it it could have something to do with the toolchain. I havnt touched the toolkit I'm a while, did I give you guys a precompiled linaro 4.9 toolchain in the toolkit or tell you to download it yourselves?

Upvote 0
You didn't include it, just links to download 4.9.3. I tried the a7 version when a15 didn't work but got the same results. Touch doesn't work and the boot.img comes out about 2Mb smaller than yours - 9682960 vs 11735056 for yours.

If you can't think of anything I'll try upgrading the build machine. I installed it just for this so it doesn't matter to me what it's got on it.

Here are the errors from the build, nothing significant as far as I can tell, but just in case:

rm: cannot remove ‘voltunov33.zip’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘boot.img’: No such file or directory
objcopy: '.ihex': No such file
net/ipv4/Kconfig:635:warning: leading whitespace ignored
arch/arm/configs/voltuno_defconfig:444:warning: override: THERMAL_MONITOR change
s choice state
warning: (SND_SOC_MSM8226) selects DOLBY_DAP which has unmet direct dependencies
(SOUND && !M68K && !UML && SND && SND_SOC && SND_SOC_MSM8974)
warning: (SND_SOC_MSM8226) selects DOLBY_DAP which has unmet direct dependencies
net/ipv4/Kconfig:635:warning: leading whitespace ignored
defined(@array) is deprecated at kernel/timeconst.pl line 373.
(Maybe you should just omit the defined()?)
/home/itisisean/voltunotoolkit/kernel/scripts/Makefile.fwinst:45: target `/lib/f
irmware/melfas/x5_spr_us/x5_spr_us_rev_0_v102.mfsb' given more than once in the
same rule.
/home/itisisean/voltunotoolkit/kernel/scripts/Makefile.fwinst:45: target `/lib/f
irmware/melfas/mms100a_core54_v01.mfsb' given more than once in the same rule.
irmware/melfas/mms100s_core32_v01.mfsb' given more than once in the same rule.
irmware/melfas/x5_spr_us/x5_spr_us_rev_0_v102.mfsb' given more than once in the
same rule.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this kernel. Which governors and I/O schedulers are best for battery life (not including powersave)? I don't mind if the performance is greatly reduced or if it's not smooth, as long as it works for basic things. I don't want powersave because that basically just freezes the phone. Thanks so much

Upvote 0
i just looked, and there is no difference between zv5 kernel source and zv6. it seems all zv6 amounted to was just system update kind of stuff. so sorry guys, no new build as there is really no need for it.

anyone who took the zv6 update as it came, was there even a kernel update in it?

edit: i did add the missing atmel directory that lazysean mentioned above to the zv6 branch of the source on github, so make sure if your downloading the source you use the zv6 branch. bad naming i know, but it works.

Reactions: Bad_MOFO_33
Upvote 0
Hello. I tested this Kernel Modified and the
conclusion is that it does not work,
performance remains exactly 1190 MHz, I
have made performance testing, I tried video
games, emulators as PPSSPP v1, Dolphin.
And it has not improved any FPS. I used to
climb the clock SetCPU but the 1593 MHz
that is assigned a maximum not working.
You need much improvement because
currently it is a misleading overclocking.

Upvote 0
The 400 cant be overclocked it gives false readings. This has been gone over numerous times with the moto g and in fact most kernels have actually removed the option to do it as it has zero effect on the actual cpu speed. Instead of bashing though lets see thr kernel you made? Or any development you came up with?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones