• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

Got the swapiton script working by adding the delay during setup. It's just weird that I didn't need it before, but that was also on zv4. If it possible that they changed something with the boot process that is making this necessary now?

I also had it not apply any minfree or other memory tweaks since I can manage those with Kernel Adiutor, just set swapiness to 75.

EDIT: Getting reboots with 3.1 kernel... Also on v3... Seems to happen anytime it actually tries to use the swap. Back on stock kernel to see if that's stable.
Stock kernel is stable with swap, so it's something with the uno kernel. Maybe the fact that it's a zv5 kernel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm just running swap on stock kernel using what features it has... Running well enough.

I have been busy with work but I also started to get random reboots I ended up switching back to the stock kernel but I have a feeling I'll be flashing back to Uno but I do see a performance gane with swap enable
You guys made me think it was something I was doing wrong with the Uno kernel regarding swap lol

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
The following pastebin link is the /proc/last_kmsg log I got trying to use swap on volt uno 3.1 (voltunov3-1.img)

http://pastebin.com/jLCbmiEY
Well, good and bad news. Bad news is there's no crash in that log. Good news is that there may still be a clue. Log shoes the kernel was compiled with Linaro GCC 2015.03 - Cortex-A15. This is an issue because the 8926 doesn't use krait/A15, it uses a cortex-A7. The kernel will be compiled with instructions our cpu doesn't understand. Whoshotjr2006 needs to switch to A7.

Upvote 0
I can give it a go in a few hours

If you are going to try a compile, could you add in "binfmt_misc" support? I wanted to mess around with the linux deploy app that apparently has a compiled qemu and some scripts that make use of binfmt to run x86 and x64 apps on arm. I know it will probably slow as molasses but something cool to try.

Upvote 0
If you are going to try a compile, could you add in "binfmt_misc" support? I wanted to mess around with the linux deploy app that apparently has a compiled qemu and some scripts that make use of binfmt to run x86 and x64 apps on arm. I know it will probably slow as molasses but something cool to try.
Looks like I can. Fingers crossed it doesn't break anything.

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0
The last time i compiled this, it was generally accepted that the linaro cortex a15 gcc branch held all the optimizations already for the a7. Things may have changed since that time as i have not kept up on the project, but its what all our sister devices were using so i went with it.

I used a modified defconfig for building the kernel, the answer is probably in that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah the A7 vs A15 is a shot in the dark right now, it's the only inconsistency that stood out in the log. A last_kmsg with a kernel panic logged will be ideal for troubleshooting

I figured out my boot loop, I apparently can't optimize the build (yet). Working test build for now: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jbaz45cehrd1fl3/uno_49.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones