• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

I'm just running swap on stock kernel using what features it has... Running well enough.

I have been busy with work but I also started to get random reboots I ended up switching back to the stock kernel but I have a feeling I'll be flashing back to Uno but I do see a performance gane with swap enable
You guys made me think it was something I was doing wrong with the Uno kernel regarding swap lol

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
The following pastebin link is the /proc/last_kmsg log I got trying to use swap on volt uno 3.1 (voltunov3-1.img)

http://pastebin.com/jLCbmiEY
Well, good and bad news. Bad news is there's no crash in that log. Good news is that there may still be a clue. Log shoes the kernel was compiled with Linaro GCC 2015.03 - Cortex-A15. This is an issue because the 8926 doesn't use krait/A15, it uses a cortex-A7. The kernel will be compiled with instructions our cpu doesn't understand. Whoshotjr2006 needs to switch to A7.

Upvote 0
I can give it a go in a few hours

If you are going to try a compile, could you add in "binfmt_misc" support? I wanted to mess around with the linux deploy app that apparently has a compiled qemu and some scripts that make use of binfmt to run x86 and x64 apps on arm. I know it will probably slow as molasses but something cool to try.

Upvote 0
If you are going to try a compile, could you add in "binfmt_misc" support? I wanted to mess around with the linux deploy app that apparently has a compiled qemu and some scripts that make use of binfmt to run x86 and x64 apps on arm. I know it will probably slow as molasses but something cool to try.
Looks like I can. Fingers crossed it doesn't break anything.

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0
The last time i compiled this, it was generally accepted that the linaro cortex a15 gcc branch held all the optimizations already for the a7. Things may have changed since that time as i have not kept up on the project, but its what all our sister devices were using so i went with it.

I used a modified defconfig for building the kernel, the answer is probably in that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah the A7 vs A15 is a shot in the dark right now, it's the only inconsistency that stood out in the log. A last_kmsg with a kernel panic logged will be ideal for troubleshooting

I figured out my boot loop, I apparently can't optimize the build (yet). Working test build for now: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jbaz45cehrd1fl3/uno_49.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones