• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Strong Demand for Apple and HTC, RIM Slipping Dangerously

BlackBerry would sell a TON of phones if they could just catch up and release a phone similar to the EVO or Iphone. Their first attempt at a similar phone (the storm) sold like crazy to people who wanted an "adult" iphone. Unfortunately for them they released a poor product way too soon and lost a lot of respect. The storms popularity however is testament that if they can create a respectable product, they would still compete in today

Upvote 0
I had to quote myself. Looks like RIM is going for marketshare with a legitimate phone (NOT a storm). Seems like it needs some work still and it's exclusive to at&t (why?) but here it is.

BlackBerry Torch first look: Weirdly evolved - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com

RIM is stuck in a rut. They are losing existing customers at a rapid rate.
'CrackBerry' no more: Most BlackBerry users want an iPhone or Android | Mobile platforms - InfoWorld

This is nothing new. When the iPhone came out, their customer base started to shrink. Their response was the bungled BB Storm, which angered their corporate users who were in love with the physical keyboard. So RIM decided to stick to their traditional design - a full QWERTY keyboard with a small screen. The vast majority of models look like this, making BB a very stale choice with limited potential. So now their customer base is bored with BB and want something more flashy AND functional. And that is increasingly becoming Android-based phones. Meanwhile, RIM still can't decide whether to break out of their mold or go with something more bold.

Personally, I think they've past their point of no return. Whatever they decide, they will be too late... unless they can crank out something revolutionary (unlikely).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones