• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck in manual deodex question:

getting
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
is showing you typed it wrong. after you typed it without the space like paycer caught your command went through.
I got the same thing you did (to steven) at the end when I tried to remount to system to ro it gave me
mount: Device or resource busy
i finally decided to unplug the phone, pull the battery and turn it back on, and everything worked fine for me. I check through my system/app folder with root explorer showed no .odex file.

ThatOneDude05: try downloading terminal emulator from the market and doing the commands
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot
in there. when you open terminal emulator it should ask for SU permissions (or it might not ask till you type "su" I cant remember) try that way though see if that does it for you

Upvote 0
ThatOneDude05: try downloading terminal emulator from the market and doing the commands
in there. when you open terminal emulator it should ask for SU permissions (or it might not ask till you type "su" I cant remember) try that way though see if that does it for you

I tried that lol... it gave me error that one guy was getting with the read only files. it was granted super user permissions... I just download TBH and did it that way... i was getting frustrated thanks everyone for their help though!

Upvote 0
personally I would copy and paste each one of these commands. one at a time hitting enter after each one and letting it do its things for a few seconds before you do the next one

su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot

Upvote 0
almost right. The process was:

r2rd > waaay too long to boot and wouldn't work with swype.

restore to 2.3.15 ota rooted

Try "serenity" > bricked my phone

Sbf to 2.3.13

Tried 2.3.15 lead deodexed > took about 4X longer to boot than OTA

restored 2.3.15 ota rooted

Tried manual deodex > I thought I had received error messages and didn't know if it worked or not, so I tried it again (big mistake). When I went to boot all the Apps force closed > battery pull thankfully put me into recovery mode

Restored 2.3.15 ota rooted, which is where I am now.

I took the long way around and I'm tinkering partly to learn how to tinker and it's working because I'm making mistakes and I know how to recover from them. :D

So, I guess I am familiar with how to deodex. My current questions are:

Since I get no debugging icon on PC mode, can I use charge only?

I did, last night. I think the first time is when I got all that "read-only" feedback on the command prompt.

The second time I did it, I think it worked okay, but I wasn't sure if it was actually deodexed.

I think I might have done it a THIRD time and perhaps that's when I screwed up all my files? When I went to boot, all the apps were FC'ing.

So, I did a recovery and all was good.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, no?

Upvote 0
Steven, your problems sound familiar. I went through the same issues. I use Windows Media Sync with Debugging on. When you go to cmd and type adb devices does it show your device attached?

When you type adb shell, then type su look at your phone and make sure you allow the connections for the SuperUser accesss. This is where everything for me changed. Had to allow SU on you phone be accepted.

After that you should no longer see a # sign and should now see a $ sign.

This is what I did to fix all my problems

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Steven, your problems sound familiar. I went through the same issues. I use Windows Media Sync with Debugging on. When you go to cmd and type adb devices does it show your device attached?

When you type adb shell, then type su look at your phone and make sure you allow the connections for the SuperUser accesss. This is where everything for me changed. Had to allow SU on you phone be accepted.

After that you should no longer see a # sign and should now see a $ sign.

This is what I did to fix all my problems

Sounds like that's the ticket. I'll try it. ty.

PS: now I'm a root "expert" (funny). I just helped someone root in the midst of this. Eh... what comes around goes around! ;)

Upvote 0
Sounds like that's the ticket. I'll try it. ty.

PS: now I'm a root "expert" (funny). I just helped someone root in the midst of this. Eh... what comes around goes around! ;)

i'm no expert, i just started playing around with this the past 2 weeks, I have been a crackberry addict for years. I am so glad that I got away from it and I am having so much fun with this phone now :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones