• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in reboot loop. Verizon says no fix and will ship a new one.

Thanks for the very quick responses.

I had indeed left the battery out a good half hour the first time. Tried again close to an hour, no change. Tried removing the SD card, no change. Tried to boot (no SD card) while connected to the charger, no change.

Just for the record, I had slightly misstated the sequence the first time. It is
1. First HTC screen
2. Quietly Brilliant screen
3. DROID screen and sound
4. Features screen
5. The red lens
6. Back to 2. (The first screen shows up only once).

Looks like hard reset is the only option left.

Upvote 0
I can't even get the reboot menu to come up. Am I doing something wrong?

Did you follow cds's suggestion to do a battery pull right before booting into recovery (hold down the"joystick" button while turning it on [i thought you had to hold down "joystick" + Volume Down, but it was a long time since I was in the recovery menu]).

And your phone could just be sol...

Upvote 0
I had this problem happen last night. I was using the internet when all of the sudden I had a force close storm. Literally every application I had running started to force close and wouldn't stop. I powered down the phone, and then got stuck in a reboot cycle. Mine was between the HTC quietly brilliant screen and Verizon Wireless black screen. After reading all of the tips here, I did a manual clear of my data, and it fixed it.

This resulted from a low space dilemma, as I have been posting about in that topic on this sub-forum...had been having that issue for about 2 weeks, and after talking with HTC and Verizon, I could not rectify the problem. So I guess this was like a crash on a computer? Not really sure, but the phone seems to be working fine after reset...anyone else ever remedy any of these problems without a reboot?
i had the EXACT same problem. i mean it's almost word for word what happened to me. that's so crazy! anyway, i was wondering if you could explain what you did step by step cuz i'm completely clueless as to how to clear cache/data if the phone won't boot up.... also i was wondering if you do the hard reset or reboot will that wipe all your data or will that keep everything?? is that different than a factory reset??? sorry. i'm totally clueless so please please help. this is the 3rd phone this has happened to and it's been 3days with no phone. i can't speak so texting is my only form of communication so i really need to fix this and i'd rather not loose everything and start over again cuz i've done that 3times and it takes too long :/

Upvote 0
I have the same problem.

Phone started rebooting intermittently for about a week.

Did a reset, then it got stuck in reboot loop.

Took to the store, and of course it let them activate. :rolleyes: But then it started to have the problem. So they sent me out a new one.

Got the new one. Same problem....RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. :rolleyes: Could not even activate.

Went to the store, and of course it let them activate. :rolleyes: So, told them I'd try the phone for a day or so. Took it home.

Two hours late, SAME DEAL. Reboot loop. Took to store, and of course it started working again. :rolleyes: They did a reset, and were able to reproduce the problem. So, they sent me a new one.

Will pick up the new one today, and see what happens.

Getting frustrated with this stupid phone.

Upvote 0
I've tried with no case with case (in case of overheating problems), I've tried new battery, new sd card, formating sd card, countless factory resets, I've tried operating with no apps, I've even tried rooting it. Seems there is no fix. This is my 4th DI and three of them have had this problem. It's really frustrating.

Upvote 0
I just commented on a more recent thread today. Mine did it this morning. But I guess it had to do with that weird OTA update to 3.26 something. That happened along with the forceclosing of pretty much every app on my phone. I've also had the low space notification at the top for a couple of weeks.

The people at Verizon wouldn't even look at it....she just ordered me a new one. Didn't seem to really care what the problem was. ANyway, I should get my new one (refurb) probably next week. In the meantime, I think uninstalling and reinstalling the apps will work. Most apps still FC when I open them. And it wiped my contacts (but I was able to sync them back to my phone). Email was still all set up and it didn't wipe my photos from my SD card. But, it was like I was using the phone for the first time ever. The Android market was the old one, all my apps had no settings....I'd have to go through all of them to redo the settings, incl. facebook, twitter, weather channel, etc. Really weird.

I hope when I get the new phone, it already has this stupid 3.26 update, so it won't go and do this all over again.

Oh, and I DID notice this morning that the battery was practically empty. That never happens! I mean, I keep it pretty well charged.

T.

Upvote 0
Also having the same issue. :(

Problem started after the above mentioned OTA update on Tuesday, 4/26. Called Verizon and they sent me a replacement phone via FedEx overnight. Same problems with the replacement phone. :eek: As soon as I finish the phone setup and start downloading apps, the problem manifests. Spent a few hours with VZW tech support to no avail. It looks like I'll be spending a few more hours on the phone with them tomorrow to get a 2nd replacement sent out.

What are the chances of having 2 phone with the same exact problem? I think someone at VZW screwed up and released the OTA update without proper QA testing.... :mad: Funny thing is, my wife's Incredible is working just fine...

Upvote 0
Reboot problem started a few weeks ago but has been picking up in frequency, tried all the suggested fixes to no avail, today it won't get past the splash screen. Verizon is sending refurb, will send 5 day for free, or its 6.99 for two day or 12.99 for overnight. I could not get them to budge on free overnight because they said they offer free shipping, albeit slower, so they cannot give overnight free. I asked well will you prorate my account for the five days I am without phone, they said yes, I said well it would just be less expensive than that for you to credit my account for the cost of the overnight shipping. No go. I went ahead and had them overnight it, my time is worth more than the 13 bucks so I stopped haggling after my brief fruitless attempt.

Upvote 0
some extra fyi, i'm dealing with this atm, and it seems this can come from 3rd party software updates as well as oem updates. i have a verizon 4g phone, and if i hard reset with the sim card out, if fixes just fine, but then once i but the card back in, and it re registers my google account to restore the device, the same failed update causes it to crash again. i was instructed to have verizon disable the restore in order to remove the offending application, otherwise the auto restore will do this to any new phone they give me as a replacement (of the same type)

Upvote 0
Thank you for this thread existing! My Incredible also for no reason shut down and went in to white screen loop. Found this thread, and its instructions for BOOT menu, and its working again.. with everything back ( so far).
Did as previous post..
1) Remove battery
2) Plug in USB from PC
3) Installed battery while pressing POWER and TOGGLE buttons (tricky)
4) Menu pops up and third or fourth option is RECOVERY
5) Used VOLUME buttons to select RECOVERY
6) pressed POWER button to select
system shuts off, reboots with white screen for a few seconds, then a animated white screen (hadn't seen that before), goes to red eyeball DROID sound and stalls for a 20-30 seconds then my regular screen comes on with all shortcuts, apps, and data showing. Its working so far, sent a text and goes online. I'll see how it holds up... I've been very happy with this phone.

Upvote 0
Thank you for this thread existing! My Incredible also for no reason shut down and went in to white screen loop. Found this thread, and its instructions for BOOT menu, and its working again.. with everything back ( so far).
Did as previous post..
1) Remove battery
2) Plug in USB from PC
3) Installed battery while pressing POWER and TOGGLE buttons (tricky)
4) Menu pops up and third or fourth option is RECOVERY
5) Used VOLUME buttons to select RECOVERY
6) pressed POWER button to select
system shuts off, reboots with white screen for a few seconds, then a animated white screen (hadn't seen that before), goes to red eyeball DROID sound and stalls for a 20-30 seconds then my regular screen comes on with all shortcuts, apps, and data showing. Its working so far, sent a text and goes online. I'll see how it holds up... I've been very happy with this phone.
Had already tried all the battery dismounts and configurations before I found this thread. I tried the above with the exception of step 3 I simply inserted the battery and THEN pressed the power and toggle button. Worked perfectly and fixed my problem. Thanks and a tip o' the hat to those who contributed to and those who provide this forum.

Upvote 0
My phone seems to have the same problem being described here, but there's nothing I can do. When I boot the phone, it just goes to the white htc incredible screen over and over. I can get into the hboot screen, but from there the only place I can seem to go is to the fastboot screen. If I try to get into recover, clear the storage, or select factory reset, the phone just goes back into the boot loop where it just gets to the white htc incredible screen over and over. I've tried using the battery from my wife's incredible in my phone with no change. I also tried removing the sd card with no change.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Is my phone just bricked since I can't get into recovery and I can't seem to do a factory reset. It just seems odd because the only thing that seemed off about my phone this morning was that a program I have tasker load every night hadn't loaded this morning (first time tasker failed to load the program), but otherwise the phone was working fine. Then, after I did about 15 minutes of work on the computer I heard my phone start rebooting out of nowhere.

I've tried to do the suggestions in this thread, but since I can't even seem to do a factory reset they don't seem to really work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
My phone seems to have the same problem being described here, but there's nothing I can do. When I boot the phone, it just goes to the white htc incredible screen over and over. I can get into the hboot screen, but from there the only place I can seem to go is to the fastboot screen. If I try to get into recover, clear the storage, or select factory reset, the phone just goes back into the boot loop where it just gets to the white htc incredible screen over and over. I've tried using the battery from my wife's incredible in my phone with no change. I also tried removing the sd card with no change.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Is my phone just bricked since I can't get into recovery and I can't seem to do a factory reset. It just seems odd because the only thing that seemed off about my phone this morning was that a program I have tasker load every night hadn't loaded this morning (first time tasker failed to load the program), but otherwise the phone was working fine. Then, after I did about 15 minutes of work on the computer I heard my phone start rebooting out of nowhere.

I've tried to do the suggestions in this thread, but since I can't even seem to do a factory reset they don't seem to really work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check out the root guide in the root section on how to reload 2.3.4 from hboot. Basically you want to format your SD card to fat32 and put the PB31IMG.zip for 2.3.4 on your SD card and load it in hboot.
You can find the file at http://pvillecomp.com

The process will wipe your phone.

Reactions: quam6246
Upvote 0
Check out the root guide in the root section on how to reload 2.3.4 from hboot. Basically you want to format your SD card to fat32 and put the PB31IMG.zip for 2.3.4 on your SD card and load it in hboot.
You can find the file at PvilleComp's | Droid Incredible Resource Site

The process will wipe your phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. This at least allowed me to do something to my phone for a change. The update seemed to work fine. Hboot also now says that my phone is in the s-off state, so I'm guessing it removed the root as well? But, my phone is still doing the exact same reboot looping through the htc incredible white screen and I can't get into recovery or clear data or anything. Since I applied the update and am back on the stock software, does this mean that any software issue is ruled out and my reboot loop is due to a hardware issue? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yeah. Sounds like a hardware issue. But could try applying the file again and see if you get anywhere. Could also try booting into safe mode.

The process did remove root technically but since you are still s-off you can install clockwork and superuser again through the same process you are applying the 2.3.4 file.

Upvote 0
I had the same reboot loop problem on another Verizon phone (an old Nokia). Resets didn't work, the Verizon store couldn't help and told me I needed a new phone. I bought a new one on ebay and switched my account over to the new phone, deactivating the old one. Well guess what: a few days later I idly turned on the old phone and it no longer had the reboot loop problem. I did not try switching the activation back to the original phone, but I'm wondering whether if I had just deactivated and reactivated the phone, it would have fixed the problem...

Upvote 0
So there I was sitting at my desk with my phone on the charger when all of a sudden it shut itself down and tried to reboot. Now it's stuck in a loop where the white HTC Incredible loads then it shuts down and keeps looping.

I took it to a corporate Verizon store and they tried the manual Hard Reset. It didn't work. Seemed to clear the data but when it started up again the loop continued - Off > white HTC Incredible screen > Off. It just keeps going and going.

After 10 minutes they gave up and said there was no fix. They are sending me a replacement that should arrive in 2-3 business days.

I am so pissed off right now.

Any thoughts?

Here's the fix:

1. Turn the phone off
2. Take the back off the phone (The antenna are in the back)
3. Remove the battery
4. Remove the SIM card
5. Put the battery back in but leave the back off the phone
6. Start the phone
7. When it loads to the home screen, open the dialer and press *#*#4636#*#*
8. When a new menu appears titled "Testing" tap Phone Information
9. Scroll down where you will see a drop down menu to tap on u nder the words "Set preferred network type:"
10. Select "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"
11. Once you do that back all the way out to the home screen, shut the phone off, put the back and and start the phone.

Upvote 0
I had the same reboot loop problem on another Verizon phone (an old Nokia). Resets didn't work, the Verizon store couldn't help and told me I needed a new phone. I bought a new one on ebay and switched my account over to the new phone, deactivating the old one. Well guess what: a few days later I idly turned on the old phone and it no longer had the reboot loop problem. I did not try switching the activation back to the original phone, but I'm wondering whether if I had just deactivated and reactivated the phone, it would have fixed the problem...

One year later: The new Nokia started doing the same reboot loop thing a few days ago, after I used it for a year. I called Verizon and amazingly got an extremely patient and thoughtful rep who was willing to try everything. I managed to get to the "RESTORE" option under settings and tools, security, and restore the phone to factory settings. This turned out to have probably been unnecessary, but read on. After the restore, the phone was no longer programmed to talk to Verizon...and the reboot loop problem was gone! Then when he programmed it (remotely), the problem returned. So we tried again, and he had me program it manually, giving me all the numbers to put in. Same thing happened. Finally, instead of using "refresh" of my Network Subscriber Information on his end, he deleted my subscriber information in the network system and re-established it from scratch. THIS WORKED!!

My guess is that this delete/reestablish subscriber information would have worked in the first place, without me having RESTOREd my phone (and losing all the Contacts, etc). I would think that this problem happens a lot and that the fix would be known to Verizon, but this rep who helped me had looked and said it was not logged in. I urged him to do so... Amazing, how could it take this long to figure something out. I wonder how many of the people on this forum might solve their problem the same way...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones