• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Success!! WiFi Tethering!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, everyone should disable Access-Control unless you want to specify each device that is allowed to use the phone internet.

Mike again thank to you and all others for all this hard work!
If access control is off other close enough devises can log into hot spot.. draining band with??? ie. neighbors and such...?? or am I to close to this I missed the obvious some where?????
BTW.. A step by step guide from installing root to installing this in the root thread might be a good idea.. we would not have to answer so many step by step questions over and over for folks who did not even know what root was before today?:) hmm maybe a locked sticky?? remember how it is to offer tech support?? lol

Upvote 0
there are three options to try and secure the device and keep people out of a wifi hotspot. You dont have to set them up, its all up to you.

first would be wether the hotspot broadcasts its name(ssid) for everyone to see.
Second would be to secure the hotspot with encryption so a password is needed.
third would be Access-Control where only devices that you specify can use the internet, even if they were to somehow know your password to get on the network.

Upvote 0
The 3rd option can be a downer. Remember that people can spoof a MAC address easily. If someone really wants in, mac address filtering won't stop them for too long.
u really think some1 around me gonna have enough time to spoof their mac address just 2 use my 4g connection? loooool i can see it already me waiting in a drive through and some geek trying to bust through my 4g security if i would even have it on at all geez how much time do u think he would be able 2 enjoy even if he sucessfully connected to my phone? my point is no1 is going to have their wifi tether on permanently just something to use it briefly.

Upvote 0
looooool just saying bud, anyways i think i might go to the $60 plan just so i can afford to abuse it a lil lol

I'm already on $60 plan
I downloaded a few Security Now podcasts to my ipad already (around 1.3GB each)

I'm hoping metro strengthens their coverage. I have coverage in most places here for 4G but only a few places can I get the 5+ Mbps. everywhere else drops down around 1 or 2 Mbps.

Upvote 0
I'm already on $60 plan
I downloaded a few Security Now podcasts to my ipad already (around 1.3GB each)

I'm hoping metro strengthens their coverage. I have coverage in most places here for 4G but only a few places can I get the 5+ Mbps. everywhere else drops down around 1 or 2 Mbps.

ok im glad u told me that im having a confusing mixup with my account/plan see im paying for the $50 plan plus insurance so total that with the $3 dollar fee from store dealers im paying $57 total each month now check this out i dont have a meter on my account and it says unlimted but aint the $50 plan users suppose 2 have a meter 2 make sure they dont go past the 1gb cap?

myaccount.png

now check out what plan they say om currently on

myplan.png

so am i really on a unlimted data plan likes urs or.......?

do u have a meter on ur account or is urs like mine? cuz the metro lady that sold me the phone told me the advantage i had buying the indulge before metro relased their 4g was that my payments would be locked in and i would not have to pay anymore is that what this is?

Upvote 0
thanks confirming that yesss!!!!!! lol i thought i was gonna need to upgrade to the $60 plan lol and yea im in tampa we just got ours april 1st. man just the thought that i almost switched to the $60 plan last night thinking that i was on a 1gb cap plan wow good thing i didnt do it, i paused on the part where u click confim but on the total it said i would owe $112 so thats the only reason i didnt click confirm cuz i did not understand why they were charging me so much just to upgrade my plan.

Upvote 0
thanks confirming that yesss!!!!!! lol i thought i was gonna need to upgrade to the $60 plan lol and yea im in tampa we just got ours april 1st. man just the thought that i almost switched to the $60 plan last night thinking that i was on a 1gb cap plan wow good thing i didnt do it, i paused on the part where u click confim but on the total it said i would owe $112 so thats the only reason i didnt click confirm cuz i did not understand why they were charging me so much just to upgrade my plan.

:) your lucky. I wanted to upgrade to that plan but they only had the craft at the time :( I missed out.

I wonder if they would have upgraded me anyways if I didnt buy a 4G phone. I should have checked.

Upvote 0
well they were charging me $50 when i was on using the samsung code so when i heard metro was releasing their 4g here soon i jumped to get the phone since ive had the code for more than a year, then came april 1st and bam i was loving my indulge even more lol maybe u could slip a few bucks to some1 that works at a metro store to see if they can slip u in u know what im saying? lol unless the coporate stores dont have access to that plan anymore....

Upvote 0
well they were charging me $50 when i was on using the samsung code so when i heard metro was releasing their 4g here soon i jumped to get the phone since ive had the code for more than a year, then came april 1st and bam i was loving my indulge even more lol maybe u could slip a few bucks to some1 that works at a metro store to see if they can slip u in u know what im saying? lol unless the coporate stores dont have access to that plan anymore....

well, actualy my plan is $55 due to family plan so it would have been $50.

My bill is $274. Got 5 Lines and 4 smartphones

Reactions: billda69
Upvote 0
there are three options to try and secure the device and keep people out of a wifi hotspot. You dont have to set them up, its all up to you.

first would be wether the hotspot broadcasts its name(ssid) for everyone to see.
Second would be to secure the hotspot with encryption so a password is needed.
third would be Access-Control where only devices that you specify can use the internet, even if they were to somehow know your password to get on the network.

The 3rd option can be a downer. Remember that people can spoof a MAC address easily. If someone really wants in, mac address filtering won't stop them for too long.

As tiede has pointed out, MAC addresses can be spoofed easily. Also, whether the SSID is broadcast or not really doesn't matter either, you can find that out if you really want to as well. So the only REAL security, is to use a passkey (option 2), and then only using WPA (preferably WPA2, if available).

Upvote 0
ok this was the first thread here about tethering the Indulge so Mike and all I'll ask this here if thats ok?
1 we have root
2 we have Apk to turn back on the wifi tehter that was in but crippled in the phone.. great but at times 2 radio's=more battery usage
3 has anyone worked on turning on native usb tether so it can be accomplished with out the ad-hoc aps? ;)

and again thnx

Upvote 0
"Wifi Tether" not Easy Tether.
those are two different apps, and you must download the version that was posted.

yes guys thnx i have the Wi-Fi installed asnd phone rooted works great i'm streaming to all my dlna devices..
what I was asking was it appeared they had also disabled the built-in Tethering<< usb not as much battery usage... has anyone found where to get that functionality back with out easy-tether and such? or is it even worth trying... easy tether is getting me up slower than wi-fi:cool::thinking:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones