• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Suicidal Nexus 7 2013- Eternal Pulsing X. Twice.

Les Common

Oct 29, 2009
Got the new N7 from Staples.com. Used the 30 buck online coupon.

Spent a few hours setting it up nicely w/ Nova and apps and logins.

Used if for a day or two. Put it in my backpack. Pulled it out at work to show somebody the incredible screen-res. Pressed the power button. Nothing. Longpressed the power button. It started to boot w/ the pulsing quadcolor X. And it pulsed. And pulsed. And pulsed. ....

Hardpowered it down. Tried again. Eternapulse. 10 minutes later, no change.

FDR'd it. Spent another chunk of time tweaking, but was less inclusive in what I reinstalled. Did what I used, rather than everything.

Used it for a week, babying it 'cuz the case hasn't come yet. Great device.

Today, pulled it from the backpack. Same eternapulsing X.

Talked w/ staples. They don't have any more right now anywhere. I'm near the end of my 14 day "no questions asked return" period from Staples- after that, I deal w/ ASUS/Google.

I think I want a new device, this one not proving as trustworthy as I need. Don't think there are stray magnets or other devicekillers in my backpack, so I don't have theories as to why the device is so suicidal. Carrying it next to another tablet shouldn't hurt it, should it?

And I'd like the 30 bucks off whatever device I end up with.

Don't really want to go back to my 2012 version, but I guess it is good that I haven't turned it over to the wife quite yet.

Anyone else having periodic systemic failures? Or any other insights into what would turn an arguably great tablet into a minimalist lava lamp, twice?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions or advice.

-les

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones