• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super n00b has questions regarding Android 4.0 Media Box

dL_EVO

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to Androids and I have a couple of questions. I'm pretty much lost and I feel ashamed for asking because I can typically find most pieces of information I need on Google.

I bought a pre-rooted Android 4.0.4 media box and I'm trying to install an unsigned application onto the box. I copied the unsigned app to a SD card and put it into the media box. I can see the contents of my SD card in File Manager. I checked the permissions of the files on the card and it's 777 for everything.

But, I'm a bit lost. I found some info online that states I should open the .PKG using the "Open With..." option. When I tap (hold) the .PKG file, i'm suppose to see "Open With..." but I don't see it. I just see "Open" and some other options.

I've also tried to enable the "Unknown Sources" option in Settings -> Apps and that option is not there. OK, I'm very confused because all these instructions I'm finding tell me to do things that are not available on my Android 4.0.4 box.

Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones