• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Suspicious wifi activity

EmbersBliss

Lurker
Sep 23, 2019
I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

So yesterday I found a saved network in my wifi settings that I have never seen before so I reset it.

I then grabbed geeky tools to check the wifi signals and I can see 3 signals labeled Wifi disable 1 in the 2.4 band they sit directly over my Xfinity network, a neighbors ATT network and a random one off by itself.

Screenshot_20220127-093049_Geeky Tools.jpg

Then in the 5Ghz band I can only see myself and a Wifi Disable laying on top of it.

Screenshot_20220127-093100_Geeky Tools.jpg

Is any of this normal?

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

So yesterday I found a saved network in my wifi settings that I have never seen before so I reset it.

I then grabbed geeky tools to check the wifi signals and I can see 3 signals labeled Wifi disable 1 in the 2.4 band they sit directly over my Xfinity network, a neighbors ATT network and a random one off by itself.

View attachment 161069

Then in the 5Ghz band I can only see myself and a Wifi Disable laying on top of it.

View attachment 161070

Is any of this normal?

All seems perfectly normal to me. BTW there's no need to obfuscate the WiFi SSIDs, as nobody else will see them unless they're within 200 metres or so of your location.

WiFi is only radio. What you're seeing (from your "WiFi warden" screen-shots) is a bit like tuning around the AM and FM bands on a radio, it will pickup all the stations in your area. But you only tune in the one station you want to listen to, and that's pretty much what your phone does with Wifi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK I saw online that something similar was being done to mess up iPhones and somewhere within 50 yards is a beacon that no one has claimed in the 2 years its been here. I wondered if it was similar because it looked like the wifi disable ssid was coming from my router since I can change from channel 1 to say 8 and the green one over the ATT network and the big blue one dissappear.

Upvote 0
OK I saw online that something similar was being done to mess up iPhones and somewhere within 50 yards is a beacon that no one has claimed in the 2 years its been here. I wondered if it was similar because it looked like the wifi disable ssid was coming from my router since I can change from channel 1 to say 8 and the green one over the ATT network and the big blue one dissappear.

That sounds like the "Free Public WiFi." Windows virus, that was quite prevalent about 10-15 years ago.
https://www.npr.org/2010/10/09/130451369/the-zombie-network-beware-free-public-wifi

And I did see it myself, while waiting for trains and planes sometimes. And the safe solution to that was, don't attempt to connect your Windows laptop to WiFi SSIDs you don't know or trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davdi and Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones