• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switching S5 from Sprint to Boost, want to use custom ROMs

need2burn

Mar 14, 2011
Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've been in the custom recovery/ROM game since my last 2 devices had locked bootloaders. Anyway, I inherited a Sprint S5 phone that I will be switching to Boost in person at one of their store locations (you have to).

Since I want to root/add custom recovery/use custom ROMs I'm not sure exactly what tutorials I need to follow. I'm assuming I would use Boost ROMs and tuts for everything, but I just want to make sure that there won't be any hitches. Anybody have any luck or issues messing with the software on a BYOP on this network? Searching for info on this topic is a rather difficult task since there are multiple carriers involved.

Thanks for any advice and information.

The model of phone for both Sprint and Boost is the U.S. carrier minority variant, G900P.

This is a CDMA network phone, as opposed to the worldwide GSM models and so ROMs for this type of model need to be for this type of S5 if modems, (baseband/radio), are involved in the custom ROM. A good place to start for custom ROMs is the, "Unified Development", section of xda forums.

For details on rooting the Galaxy S5, see CF-Auto-Root. A good custom recovery is TWRP. Flashing a custom recovery will trip your Knox Security flag forever in case this is needed for your BYOP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I know in the S5 made for Boost, the bootloader got locked in the LP update from KK. So if the device is already running LP or MM, forget about using the TWRP.. I am currently looking at getting the S5 and that was my findings. Knowing that I DO want TWRP, would mean the device would still need to be in KK to flash ROMs

Edit: if I am incorrect, someone PLZ explain. [emoji41]

Upvote 0
The G900P model can have TWRP custom recovery flashed to it and can be rooted. Perhaps you are thinking of the AT&T model, G900A, which has a mega locked down bootloader since KitKat or the Verizon, G900V, that is once again, on Marshmallow, locked down. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I don't know about Boost Mobile but the sm g900p is a Sprint phone. Boost resells sprint... That said, if you have a g900p, this is what I used to get root on MM 6.0.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51421228&postcount=3

As far as I know in the S5 made for Boost, the bootloader got locked in the LP update from KK. So if the device is already running LP or MM, forget about using the TWRP.. I am currently looking at getting the S5 and that was my findings. Knowing that I DO want TWRP, would mean the device would still need to be in KK to flash ROMs

Edit: if I am incorrect, someone PLZ explain. [emoji41]

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This guide is for a slightly older version of TWRP custom Recovery but the basics are the same, You should pay attention to the Settings in TWRP. Be aware that previous backups using PhilZ or CWM will not be compatible with TWRP and you should therefore make new nandroid backups to your SD card and also save them to your PC... just in case. ;)

What Is TWRP Recovery & How To Install & Use It On Android Devices [Guide]

Along with Titanium Backup and SuperSU, this is a very important tool for rooted users and has saved the ironass derriere on numerous occasions.

Reactions: cmichael258
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones