• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

switching to Verizon, is that a mistake?

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    hey guys,
    so i'm starting to think that i made a mistake switching to Verizon. maybe not a mistake......i don't know maybe it is just buyer's remorse or something like that.

so i have been on Sprint pretty much from day 1 with android. the main reason i'm having doubts is this potential merger with T-mobile. the prices are about the same which is the reason why i switched. would the merger cause the price plans to go up or down? how much better would their coverage be? these are all unknowns to me.

i'm not sure i like the fact the Verizon throttles their data and streaming services. i do not how customer support is with Verizon. nor do i know much about their coverage. one of the guys at Best Buy said that sometimes at public places like a stadium and such data speeds can be slowed down due to the large number of people who use their cellphone. he said it can slowed down to 3g speeds. this makes me nervous.

did i make a mistake?

Way back in the day, I had Cellular one. Cellular one became AT&t. I had it since the mid-to-late 90s. I had so much trouble with cell phone service and especially with customer service that I left for Verizon in 2004. The reason I left for Verizon was the terrible customer service issue with cellular one, and the fact that I noticed people who are getting cell phone service in buildings. I wasn't able to do that with cellular one. I've been with Verizon for 15 years. I now have done away with my business landline and my home landline. The only phone service I have is cellular. One of the major reasons I stay with Verizon is because the coverage for calls is so much better around where I live than any other service. I am running my business with my cell phone. I need a very reliable service. Verizon has it.

On the flip side, Verizon tends to be more expensive but I have deemed it worth it.

Over the past 15 years I've had my run-ins with customer service but generally they have bent over backwards to make sure I'm happy, especially because I've been a customer for so long.

They've really done so many nice things for me. Back when I had my first smartphone. I can't even remember the name. At the time it was so wonderful, but by today's standards the phone was terrible... I threw the phone out by mistake and was phoneless. Instead of making me pay for new one, they just replaced it. Stuff like that happened for me all the time. It's been a good journey but not without glitches.

In my opinion Verizon is the best service in the United States. However, I'm curious to know the merger is going to bring to the table for cell phone service. Will they have phones that run on both Sprint lines and T-Mobile lines? That would be like Google fi.

Upvote 0
    My 2 cents here. I've had Verizon and I was not that impressed, now I am sure our locations make the difference when choosing a carrier. So with keeping that in mind, what is good for me might not be for you and same for Steven, so it's a learning curve. I myself was tired of paying the high rates and would of had no issues doing so if the service was superior for me, along with the customer service, but it was not.

Now I will also say, I've been with others also, including Sprint, T Mo. I had issue with them also, but Sprint was the best for me at the time, other then having signal issue in my home, so I have to move on from Sprint.

So I said to the wife, for our use and the price, let's try Cricket wireless, no contracts and affordable rates and taxes included. As you know they're owned by AT&T. They also come with issues, like all the other 3 major carriers. For me and the price, I stuck with them and deal with the odd issue here and there.

So the question for you is, what do you really need, how reliable must your device be, and is price a concern. I can keep on going with examples as to when a device works in one area and not another, but I won't as I'm sure you know the drill, so good luck and keep us posted.

Upvote 0
    My 2 cents here. I've had Verizon and I was not that impressed, now I am sure our locations make the difference when choosing a carrier. So with keeping that in mind, what is good for me might not be for you and same for Steven, so it's a learning curve. I myself was tired of paying the high rates and would of had no issues doing so if the service was superior for me, along with the customer service, but it was not.

Now I will also say, I've been with others also, including Sprint, T Mo. I had issue with them also, but Sprint was the best for me at the time, other then having signal issue in my home, so I have to move on from Sprint.

So I said to the wife, for our use and the price, let's try Cricket wireless, no contracts and affordable rates and taxes included. As you know they're owned by AT&T. They also come with issues, like all the other 3 major carriers. For me and the price, I stuck with them and deal with the odd issue here and there.

So the question for you is, what do you really need, how reliable must your device be, and is price a concern. I can keep on going with examples as to when a device works in one area and not another, but I won't as I'm sure you know the drill, so good luck and keep us posted.

You are absolutely right. Since I'm running my business off of one cell phone, call quality becomes extremely important and price isis secondary. I cannot afford to drop calls and I don't. But you're right it's all situational. Good reply.

Upvote 0
    As I stated in another thread, I went with Verizon for they were the only game in town at the time. To this day, they have the best coverage in my area and their service is rock solid. Customer service has proven to be stellar as well. I run two businesses through my cell and I require the best service. Verizon has never let me down. True, there are cheaper alternatives out there but I've always felt like I was paying for the best.

If Verizon has your area covered, I highly suspect it's covered very well. I do not think you've made a mistake in changing providers.

Upvote 0
    I've had Verizon since forever, I love to hate them but have to admit they've gotten a TON better over the years (customer service). I started out with Sprint and they were fine for a year or two but the service got to the point of un-usability so I moved to Verizon (Cellular One was not great in my area). Almost everywhere I/family lines find ourselves we have coverage, the kid travels a lot so that's why I stick with them. They still have the best coverage, I'll pay for that.

Reactions: joe71 and ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I always say this as a T-Mobile customer. T-Mobile works great at my home and work. Strong signals at both.

But when I travel to remote areas (mountains, camping, etc), T-Mobile isn't that good. I went camping w/my son's scout troop and all the dads w/Verizon had a signal (weak but enough to text and make a call). Mine was dead. When we went home, 2 miles from the camp, the signal came back and my phone was bombarded w/texts and missed call notifications.

Upvote 0
    I have never been able to forget that Verizon put my account info as unpaid on my credit report a good four or five years after I distinctly remember having paid them off when I closed the account. The event was memorable because I happened to do it at night at a store across town. I didn't have the cash receipt after five years. Nothing, nada, then after five years the misrepresented account shows up, just like that? I will never return to Verizon for that reason alone. I was happy with T-Mobile until I wasn't. The other carriers have had their issues too. In my experience, none of them are worth the increasing costs to use their services. I only put up with any of them because I have to have a phone for employment, and that is about it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I have never been able to forget that Verizon put my account info as unpaid on my credit report a good four or five years after I distinctly remember having paid them off when I closed the account. The event was memorable because I happened to do it at night at a store across town. I didn't have the cash receipt after five years. Nothing, nada, then after five years the misrepresented account shows up, just like that? I will never return to Verizon for that reason alone. I was happy with T-Mobile until I wasn't. The other carriers have had their issues too. In my experience, none of them are worth the increasing costs to use their services. I only put up with any of them because I have to have a phone for employment, and that is about it.
    wow that sucks......well i think i'm just going to go for it and see for myself how verizon is. i'm a loyalist......treat me good and i'm yours for life. screw me over however and its over....LOL this is why i feel bad, i have never had any issues with Sprint. the only thing is from time to time the coverage is not that great. but it was to a point where it was frustrating. i think i just want to see how green it is on the other side of the road i guess......if it turns out to be not as green then i can just cross the road back to the other side after i pay off the phone.

Upvote 0
    @ocnbrze Have you also looked into their Verizon's parent company which uses their network but much cheaper ?? https://www.visible.com/

Don't much about it, but a few of my friends use it and say it;s awesome.

One plan. One price. No sweat.
    We make it easy: a $40/mo, single-line unlimited plan that’s got it all - including unlimited high-speed data, free for as long as you remain a Visible member, while this offer lasts.

Upvote 0
    ....well i think i'm just going to go for it and see for myself how verizon is. i'm a loyalist......treat me good and i'm yours for life. screw me over however and its over....

Verizon has always done us well.
    Been with them for a long time...my wife's first phone was a Motorola micro tac; me, I had a Motorola beeper. My job wouldn't allow phones.

It has been a LONG TIME.

Upvote 0
    As a truck driver communication is Paramount. I had use Verizon off and on through out the 1990's and 2000's. In 2007 we became full users with TMobile as our carrier.
    Fast forward to 2018. It's October and I had just gotten off my trainers truck. I am drop in Oklahoma where I am either supposed to pick up a truck or meet with my co driver and go to another via rental car or bus to get the truck.
    So I get to the place which is basically a drop yard with a maintenance shed and a small drivers lounge, no dorms or sleeping areas. They did have lounge chairs and couch's .
    I think I got there late Thursday night. So the next morning I called or should say attempt to call.
    I get this error text message that said something about the mobile network being down.
    That was Friday
    Saturday unable to locate service provider that was Saturday morning
    Saturday afternoon unable to connect with mobile service.
    I tried to see if I could do WiFi calling but the wifi was extremely slow and I couldn't get connected
    Also on Saturday my data stream plan or whatever you want to call it crash.
    Sunday comes and my phone is nothing but a paper weight
    Monday comes and goes
    Finally Tuesday comes, another driver tells me that there is specific area you have to stand in order to get service.
    At first I thought they were jerking me around
    Turns out he wasn't.
    So I get a hold of my driver manager who informs me that he has been trying to contact me, he left several messages at the front desk and even had them check my room
    I asked what he was talking about, turns out that I was supposed to go to some hotel upon arriving Thursday and meet up with someone Friday or Saturday.
    So I finally got with my co driver (the first nut job of many, I will exclude my last one he was an okay guy)
    While in Oklahoma I had thought about going to a T-Mobile store and getting my phone look at, problem was from my location the nearest two mobile store was two hours away
    So in October of 2018 I bought a Verizon prepaid phone. I spoke with multiple drivers and the unanimoius conclusion was out of all the carriers Verizon had the best coverage.
    Project Fi or Google Fi whatever its called now came in a close second
    With At,&t , Sprint and T-Mobile come after Verizon and Fi
    I kept TMobile till early this year since it was the carrier my wife was on, and T-Mobile still had great coverage other places.
    However there where times I would go hours or days with no service or coverage with TMobile.
    So I finally switch full time to Verizon in February of this year. With the exception of a few places in South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas and Nebraska my coverage has been perfect

Upvote 0
    @ocnbrze how do you like Verizon now? I am switching to them from AT&T. Just curious. Thanks.
    Can't complain so far. I got a good deal through best buy. The bills have been pretty consistent. Coverage has been a little better then when I was on sprint. So far I'm happy with my decision.

Reactions: jason359
    Upvote 0
    thanx guys. i really appreciate the responses.......i guess i'm just nervous......never really been outside of sprint before.

Im in the same boat. Been a Sprint custom for many, many years. I eventually got on the Unlimited, data talk, text, pics, 5 phone family plan and payments are low. It used to be that when I resigned every two years, Sprint offered a discount on the purchas of a new cellphone, well as you know that is a thing of the past. Non of the big three us cellphone offer that anymore. Anyway, I guess it makes me feel a bit uncertain and a bit nervous.
    How will this affect my ling time family plan? What will hsppen to my Note 4 ;) Funny.. but its true.. Well , like the say "it is what it is" . Whi knows maybe the T-Moble is compatible a 64bit Note 4 exynos. Right? Probably not . :( LoL

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones