• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype avail for Eris

If you are part of the beta, Swype will send you a notice before your current version expires with instructions on how to install the newest version. If you are not part of the beta and you don't have a phone that came with Swype pre-installed, you aren't supposed to have it.

I would suggest that everyone who wants Swype register for the beta. They do reopen it periodically and they will send you an invitation. In the meantime, there are similar keyboards available.

Upvote 0
I had one of the "grey market" downloads installed which expired. When the Swype beta open I registered, but didn't install it. A few weeks ago my grey market version expired so I uninstalled it and downloaded the beta.

I am so disappointed with the beta ... I find it so much less accurate, in addition to needing to re-teach it all my words. Has anyone in a similar situation had this experience, or perhaps a more positive experience?

Upvote 0
I had one of the "grey market" downloads installed which expired. When the Swype beta open I registered, but didn't install it. A few weeks ago my grey market version expired so I uninstalled it and downloaded the beta.

I am so disappointed with the beta ... I find it so much less accurate, in addition to needing to re-teach it all my words. Has anyone in a similar situation had this experience, or perhaps a more positive experience?

It does take some time for it to learn your habits. And since it expires periodically, I don't think it is ever truly optimized. Wish they would just release it for sale, but they don't seem to want to do that.

Upvote 0
If you are part of the beta, Swype will send you a notice before your current version expires with instructions on how to install the newest version. If you are not part of the beta and you don't have a phone that came with Swype pre-installed, you aren't supposed to have it.

I would suggest that everyone who wants Swype register for the beta. They do reopen it periodically and they will send you an invitation. In the meantime, there are similar keyboards available.

SlideIT is the only one I found that is close to SWYPE. All the others are not even close.

SlideIT has a free demo on the market that you can download.

It is very similar to SWYPE so you won't have any issues learning this.

Upvote 0
i've been happily using it for a while, but suddenly it doesn't work. i can swype the word, but then the keyboard area just blinks with a blue outline and the word doesn't get entered. any reasons this might happen?

Generally turning Swype off and on fixes that problem.

Make sure Swype is still enabled under Language and Keyboard.
Long press on any input field, select 'input method' choose any keyboard that is NOT Swype.
Then long press > input method > swype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones