• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
This maybe old but I am pretty sure it is not illegal. I have noticed that many of you are talking about swype. I read previous forums which brought some insight about this topic and it looks to me that rooted users can actually use swype without the worry of expiration. I am not really sure if that is correct but it really does not matter because I really do not have time to root my phone. Second is I believe I read that the official version of Swype is in a closed beta as of the current moment. Is this true? Do you guys believe that there will be an official version that would be released for the HTC Evo 4G so that we can enjoy it too. I can see myself paying for an app like that because I think it really could maximize my texting skills while in meetings and situations which I cannot speak to the phone.

I would love to get some input from you guys and again I don't think my question is illegal because I am wondering about the official version of swype.

I think there will an official version. I think I read somewhere it is being released on some other htc/stood devices. I think.

Ultimate is similar to swype. You can try it for free for a day. I prefer it over swype because it has a microphone and is fully custom - you can change the colors, layout, etc.

That being said, I still use swype a lot but Ultimate its my default.

Upvote 0
that blind type thing look very nice. Reinbeau I think that only Samsung has the exclusivity of the full version swype. My friend at work has the Galaxy S from T-Mobile and he has the full swype so I think it is something limited to Samsung even though many phones are on the android interface and completely capable of using Swype it is just that it is not released for the general public. :(

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
I keep asking this question and no one has an answer - the puzzling thing is that it came preinstalled on my Captivate. So does AT&T have a deal with the authors? I've seen no mention of it being a beta program.

Swype prefers to have their app installed by the manufacturer. It's only beta for those of us who install it aftermarket.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
Swype prefers to have their app installed by the manufacturer. It's only beta for those of us who install it aftermarket.

Swype | Text Input for Screens
Here's the relevant part from the link:
How can I buy Swype? / When will Swype be on the Android market?
We have considered a direct-download sales model, but there are two challenges to that approach:

Customer Support. Providing Swype users with the level of professional support they deserve is a priority for us. We're still a small (but quickly growing!) company, and we don't have the resources necessary to support a full end-user sales model. It is much more efficent for us to focus on improving Swype and to partner with large organizations like Samsung and T-Mobile who already have customer support structures in place.

Device integration. Swype isn't just an app; it's a keyboard - the most widely used piece of software on a device. It interacts with nearly every single application on the phone. As such, it's more like a system component than an application. For each device release we do a tremendous amount of testing and we *always* find issues due to the varying components - the OS version, the device hardware, the OEM UI implementation, etc. In addition, some features can't be implemented without an OEM's engineering assistance. We end up doing a large amount of work on each device to be sure that you have a great experience entering text using Swype.
So, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but we are not ready to do direct-downloads at this time.
It's a old dead horse that has been beaten quite a bit.

I would love to get some input from you guys and again I don't think my question is illegal because I am wondering about the official version of swype.
There's nothing illegal in discussing Swype. However, it is illegal to distribute.

Upvote 0
I don't think rooted or non rooted makes a difference. If they put code in to have it expire, it will eventually expire. When the latest version was released to Beta, a few people said they had cracked the expiration and someone else ported a MIC to it. I believe Swype is preloaded on my wife Droid X (I haven't played with it enough).

Upvote 0
you can still find swipe at some fourms. you just have to look harder. i am running swipe right now on my evo. so i know it works and is out thier. if someone really needs help finding swipe pm me. and i'll see what i can do to help.

I'd love an updated source....I found Swype a couple months ago and then it "expired"...found an update but then IT expired! Now I'm using "SlideIt" but it's not as accurate. I really miss Swype...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones