• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

If you're within a market, a simple flash of the .33 radio, a few quick changes and edits, and you're likely to have LTE access (granted you have a compatible kernel, which we will try to give a reasonable list of at some point).

Here's a list of kernels I have found to be compatible with LTE hack using Stock 4.2.2 ROM:

Stock 4.2.2 kernel.
Franco kernel.
Ziddey OTG kernel (Franco based).
AK experimental kernel.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Here's a list of kernels I have found to be compatible with LTE hack using Stock 4.2.2 ROM:

Stock 4.2.2 kernel.
Franco kernel.
Ziddey OTG kernel (Franco based).
AK experimental kernel.

PLEASE STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION...pleaseeee....

things like this is why people still believe in Battery Calibration and Automatic Task Killers

Kernels aren't the issue...if there are ANY issues it's usually just the ROM itself..

plus...any issues that there were with the LTE hack have been resolved...

just flash the two zips that fix the problems..

cwm-mako-NoAudioFixForTMobileUSA.zip

and

mako-LTE-enabler.zip

and you may need to change the APN to fast.t-mobile.com instead of epc.tmobile.com but other than that you'll be fine

Upvote 0
PLEASE STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION...pleaseeee....

things like this is why people still believe in Battery Calibration and Automatic Task Killers

Kernels aren't the issue...if there are ANY issues it's usually just the ROM itself..

plus...any issues that there were with the LTE hack have been resolved...

just flash the two zips that fix the problems..

cwm-mako-NoAudioFixForTMobileUSA.zip

and

mako-LTE-enabler.zip

and you may need to change the APN to fast.t-mobile.com instead of epc.tmobile.com but other than that you'll be fine
Hey there,

I was wondering if you could further elaborate on how exactly you've come to the conclusion that the statement you quoted is false? :thinking:

For example, I am using AOKP and Franco with no problems getting LTE.

I've also tested the stock kernel and ROM setup with success.

It sure would be helpful if you could further explain. I want to ensure that this thread has accurate info since this mod involves users' cellular radios, a particularly touchy part of a phone to mod. :D

Thanks in advance :),

jmar

Upvote 0
I'm going to give this a shot tonight if someone can answer a couple questions (I didn't read all the posts, sorry, busy week):

I'm on Tmobile, running AOKP and PA kernel. Will that work, or do I need a different ROM or kernel?

I saw the .33 radio in the OP, but I didn't see anything else to flash, is the radio all I need to flash, then just follow the other steps?

Upvote 0
I'm going to give this a shot tonight if someone can answer a couple questions (I didn't read all the posts, sorry, busy week):

I'm on Tmobile, running AOKP and PA kernel. Will that work, or do I need a different ROM or kernel?

I saw the .33 radio in the OP, but I didn't see anything else to flash, is the radio all I need to flash, then just follow the other steps?
Exactly bro. The radio and the steps in the OP are the best way. I posted earlier in this thread about the drawbacks of a flashable zip that changes the build.prop for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
Exactly bro. The radio and the steps in the OP are the best way. I posted earlier in this thread about the drawbacks of a flashable zip that changes the build.prop for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, downloading now and I'll edit everything at work tonight. I'll let everyone know what kind of speed I see afterwards.

Upvote 0
The false information is that there are limited kernels...ALL kernels are LTE capable...for the ROMs that aren't LTE capable you just flash the two zips I posted and you'll be fine..

Also if you read any of the dozens of articles, blog posts, or xda threads..
You'll realize that AOKP, Stock, and CM work fine...its some of the off shoots that have small issues that are fixed by the flashing of the zips

The information that is false is that the LTE hack doesn't work on ROMs or Kernels...it works on every Nexus 4 with a .33 radio or earlier

Upvote 0
The false information is that there are limited kernels...ALL kernels are LTE capable...for the ROMs that aren't LTE capable you just flash the two zips I posted and you'll be fine..

Also if you read any of the dozens of articles, blog posts, or xda threads..
You'll realize that AOKP, Stock, and CM work fine...its some of the off shoots that have small issues that are fixed by the flashing of the zips

The information that is false is that the LTE hack doesn't work on ROMs or Kernels...it works on every Nexus 4 with a .33 radio or earlier
I see what you are saying.

However, the user merely listed kernels that he knows to work with this hack on Stock Android 4.2.2.

Stock Android 4.2.2's kernel has hooks in it to expect the .48 radio, which is why the flashable zip for the no audio problem was developed.

So, I'm sorry, but I am not seeing how that user is spreading a false notion.

jmar

Upvote 0
uza9e7uv.jpg

Bottom 3 tests are before LTE, top 3 are on LTE. I like the results, especially for upload speed. This is in downtown Seattle

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Thanks goes to new optimus for finding the AT&T apn settings on xda to enable LTE on the Nexus 4 and reporting such in another thread. As such, I have added it to the OP. He also noted that if he finds the one for MetroPCS, he will post that as well.

*NOTE* You must live in one of the very few areas that AT&T has AWS LTE deployed in order to get LTE. Normally AT&T uses the 700MHz band which is NOT compatible with the Nexus 4. It has to be AWS(1700/2100)

Upvote 0
Any chance of getting this to work on Straight Talk (T mobile sim)? :D
I heard conflicting things about straight talk allowing lte, some say maybe some no.

You may want to do the lte mod and if nothing else search for network after putting phone in lte only.

I heard tmo has lte in Atlanta GA now.

Reactions: jmar and Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
I heard conflicting things about straight talk allowing lte, some say maybe some no.

You may want to do the lte mod and if nothing else search for network after putting phone in lte only.

I heard tmo has lte in Atlanta GA now.

Being that ST uses their own APN and the mod modifies T mobile's APN, should I use the T mobile APN?

Upvote 0
Being that ST uses their own APN and the mod modifies T mobile's APN, should I use the T mobile APN?
The actual mod doesnt do anything with the apn. the apn only allows data to flow over the lte network.

My guess is if you put the tmo lte apn in the system would reject the phone because its not on tmo directly.

Straight talk may have provisioned their network to accept lte without apn changes if so you might see a straight talk carrier in the search for lte only carriers
or if you only see tmo and 311660 try both and see if you can connect to either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones