• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile FROYO update

I am lucky to get a day out of a full charge, even with light useage ..... its bloody ridiculous! :mad:

having spent a lot of tikme reading on here about battery life etc, less than a day with "light usage" does surpise me.

How long have you had the phone?
Have you switched off any sync you definitely dont need (maybe "stocks" etc)
Have you managed the regularity of sync for things you do use ("email" etc)
Hows your reception?
What is your definition of "light usage" ?

I know that the battery life is a big bone of contention for many, but after playing around with a few settigns and still keeping it a "smart" phone, I get over a day with maybe not heavy but certainly regular use. and so as long as It doesnt die on me before I can charge it I am contented.

If you post the steps you have done so far to improve battery, Im sure there a loads of really helpfull people on here who will suggest a few more.

Upvote 0
Well I have had to do yet another factory reset and it seems that whether you tick the backup or not it does squat ...... had to start from scratch, no settings saved.

On searching the web it seems that the auto backup has been disabled????

UPDATE !!!!

I have spoken to HTC and the backup facility has been removed as it was unstable ..... in other words even if you follow the instructions earlier in this thread it will do nothing. The gentleman I spoke to was intrigued you could still actually access it but assured me it was a waste of time.

Upvote 0
having spent a lot of tikme reading on here about battery life etc, less than a day with "light usage" does surpise me.

How long have you had the phone?
Have you switched off any sync you definitely dont need (maybe "stocks" etc)
Have you managed the regularity of sync for things you do use ("email" etc)
Hows your reception?
What is your definition of "light usage" ?

I know that the battery life is a big bone of contention for many, but after playing around with a few settigns and still keeping it a "smart" phone, I get over a day with maybe not heavy but certainly regular use. and so as long as It doesnt die on me before I can charge it I am contented.

If you post the steps you have done so far to improve battery, Im sure there a loads of really helpfull people on here who will suggest a few more.

Phone is 4 months old
stocks and news sync both off
altered the regularity of weather, email etc syncs
reception can be hit and miss
light useage I would say a couple of calls, few texts, and maybe ten mins or so on Facebook, or a game can drastically drop the battery.

Everything was fine post update ...... could get up to 2 days from a full charge.

Upvote 0
I keep getting the random short reboots and dropped calls. My battery life has halved and will onus last one day. All this is a upgrade?

Well done t mobile!

Stick with it. I was on the point of returning my Desire last week as it was randomly rebooting several times a day and the battery wasn't even lasting half a day http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/163893-t-mobile-froyo-update-6.html#post1681747

I was hoping it was a software rather than hardware fault as the problems only started after 2.2. I therefore started uninstalling apps one at a time and waited to see if the rebooting continued. Well it is now three whole days since I uninstalled No Lock and my phone hasn't rebooted at all since :D No idea why it was such a problem on Froyo as I've used it successfully without any problems for 6 months.

To sort out my battery calibration I performed the steps recommended in this post http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/148503-increased-life-desire-battery-really-works.html The next day there was a noticeable improvement but it still wasn't right and my phone powered off at 12%. I repeated the steps again and it seems to be pretty much back to normal today. I have used my phone intensively today and the battery is still at 50% (although I did plug it into my car charger for a short period).

Upvote 0
Well I have had to do yet another factory reset and it seems that whether you tick the backup or not it does squat ...... had to start from scratch, no settings saved.

On searching the web it seems that the auto backup has been disabled????

UPDATE !!!!

I have spoken to HTC and the backup facility has been removed as it was unstable ..... in other words even if you follow the instructions earlier in this thread it will do nothing. The gentleman I spoke to was intrigued you could still actually access it but assured me it was a waste of time.

Interesting.

Do you have any idea if it will be returning?

I did read that it was accessible in a hidden menu or something? Somebody else will probably have more details.

According to HTC, the fix for the date problem is a factory reset, because it's been caused by the changes that T-Mobile made to Froyo. I think I'll live with it for the moment.

I don't blame you! I think I will just leave most things as they are until T-Mobile release the correct update!

Upvote 0
Interesting.

Do you have any idea if it will be returning?

I did read that it was accessible in a hidden menu or something? Somebody else will probably have more details.

I don't blame you! I think I will just leave most things as they are until T-Mobile release the correct update!

The bloke at HTC reckons even if you access the backup via the hidden menu it will not work .... has been completely disabled.

Upvote 0
Have I found another T-mobile app?

I was just playing around with the car dock app, and in that, when you add an app to the home screen there is one called "MobileTV'.

This isn't available in my normal list of apps, only when in the car dock.

Doesn't work though, when wifi is on it tells you to turn it off, and when you turn it off it just says 'The MobileTV service is exclusively available for T-mobile customers' and then just closes!

Upvote 0
1) Losing weather location on weather & news/weather widgets
2) SMS date format incorrect (mm/dd/yyyy)
3) Screen timeout reducing to 15 secs
4) Notifications change to something random
5) Move out of SMS whilst composing message with trackpad, cannot return.
6) Battery calibration issues and mis-informing
7) Random reboots.
8) Conflict with smart volume app when using camera.
9) Automatic update of apps, still requires manual update.

I've only experienced one random reboot - not sure if it was related to FroYo or not. Actually, now as I think about it, I have had the phone reboot to the HTC screen once or twice, but I haven't had to re-enter my pin code or anything.

I've found that some apps have had a tick in the automatic box despite me not selecting that option.

I assume I will have the SMS problem as everybody else seems to have it, but I haven't actually checked it.

Upvote 0
Despite the problems with the update, I'm still glad that I updated to 2.2. I haven't experienced all the problems in the list, but the ones I have experienced aren't too much of a problem.

1) The weather widget didn't work properly in 2.1. I've found it works fine in 2.2
2) I can cope with the date format on text messages and e-mails being American.
9) All my apps are now on manual update, but I don't always get notified about updates. This isn't the end of the world either.

@desireme:
You mentioned "the bug that you don't get a notification when you're phone is sleeping in the message app". I haven't seen this bug discussed before, and don't understand what you mean. Could you point me to the thread?

Upvote 0
@desireme:
You mentioned "the bug that you don't get a notification when you're phone is sleeping in the message app". I haven't seen this bug discussed before, and don't understand what you mean. Could you point me to the thread?

It's in the troubleshooting section somewhere.

Basically, you open the sms app, open a thread and press power. If the person who texts you, (which thread you're in) you don't get a notification sound, or anything in the notification bar. :(

Upvote 0
Those who have the germany 2.2 then, do you have the car dock app? It's meant to show in the Apps list and not when you plug it into a dock right?

I have no car dock app. From memory this is what we got:

Flashlight, App Sharing, MedienCentre, Download Navigon, Mobiltv, News & Weather, Mobilbox Pro, Wi-Fi Hotspot.

With the bold ones being the German stuff and the others just 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones