• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile LG G4 Marshmallow Upgrade Today Uninstalled Programs

XXSuntoucherxX

Feb 4, 2010
Brookline, MA
EDIT: New info as of 10:30pm, turns out that after reinstalling the missing apps, I didn't have to sign into any of them, and most of my settings were retained. Power Toggles and Discographer being the 2 exceptions so far.

This is more of a heads up than anything else. I'm also going to preface this with, it's probably isolated as I haven't seen or heard it happening to anyone else. The short version is, I was up at 7:30 est and I had the purple 6.0 update notice in the taskbar. So figuring that I had some time while I was getting ready for work, I started it when I rolled out of bed. By the time I was showered and ready to go, it was at the "optimizing apps" phase. By the time I made it to the T, it was done and ready for my decryption code. When I opened to the home screens, I noticed that I had holes along my dock where my most used apps were.

So my setup, unrooted T-Mobile LG G4 with a bunch of LG bloat/crapware deactivated or removed when possible. Action Launcher 3 is my replacement launcher, and FWIW I'm using the Smoke & Glass Icon pack. Since I'm a creature of habit, I set up my home screens in the most logical way for me to use. That means having my most used apps exactly where I would use them. This was done through years of habit, so much so that I don't even need to look anymore most of the time whenever I need something on my phone. The problem however is, I forgot what was missing after the update. I was so used to not looking that I didn't remember what was there. What is/was worse? There were a few other apps that were uninstalled as well. So here's the list of what I've had to reinstall after the update this morning:

Chrome Remote Desktop
Google Clock
Fenix For Twitter
Google Calendar
Google Drive
Google Photos
Google Voice
Google Messenger
Android Pay
Steam
Weather Underground
Toy Fair International (This isn't a widely needed app, I use it for my trade)
Google Dialer
Discographer - For Discogs
Speedway Fuel
Chase Mobile
ATorrent PRO
Google Docs
Google Sheets
Google Slides
Massachusetts Alerts
Acorns Invest Spare Change
Almond From Securifi
Google Camera (Frankly, I was going to uninstall this anyway)
Google Now Launcher
AllCast Premium
500px
GameStop
XKCDViewer
Power Toggles

My prevailing point is, at the very least take a picture of your home screen. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me when updating Android versions on a phone. However, like I also said, your mileage may vary. Good night, and good luck.

Screenshot_2016-02-09-21-46-23.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bberryhill0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones