• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile Note 3 on AT&T

I have an unlocked and rooted T-Mobile Note 3 (N900T) that I am trying to use on AT&T. On T-Mobile I would get at least 20 Mbps down, sometimes as high as 50. On AT&T I get 1 or 2, sometimes 3 Mbps down. I mean, it is pathetic.

I found instructions to create a new APN:

Name: ATT Phone
APN: phone
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MM proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MM port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

Please don't assume I have a clue what any of the above does. I just copied the instructions.

Before creating the above APN and selecting it the phone was using the APN "Cingular 410 (wap.cingular)," but that APN gave an equally poor connection, as did the APN "gtyh (att.mvno)."

The network mode has always been set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM.

I hope someone has some suggestions.

So have you put in this new APN?
Just wondering or do you need assistance in adding this APN?
Check this list out too: [How To][Guide] Att Apn List - xda-developers

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, none of the APNs suggested there worked.

Finally I drove back to the AT&T company store where I signed up for the plan on Sunday. I was helped by a gentleman who seemed quite knowledgeable. The first thing he noticed was that the panel icon said 4G, but not LTE. He searched his database and found a report that said, as he put it, "the serial number is blocking LTE." I found that difficult to buy. Eventually we went over to where the AT&T Note 3 was on display and running. We went into the settings for APNs and made mine identical to the display model. After rebooting I finally found LTE in the panel. I used Speedtest and was dismayed that it still gave me only 10-12 Mbps down. Nevertheless, I went home to see what the results were there. They were still dismal - only 1-3 Mbps down, where T-Mobile usually gave me 20-50 Mbps down.

Eventually I went to my computer and searched for where AT&T towers were in my area. I drove to one that was about 3 miles from my house and ran Speedtest again. This time I got 22-25 Mbps down, still about the minimum that I ever had on T-Mobile.

At that point I went back to the AT&T store and spoke to the same gentleman as before. It turns out that he lives about five blocks from me, and he showed me Speedtest results on his phone showing speeds of 20-30 Mbps down. We were both shaking our heads wondering what was going on. And we compared my APN and other data details with his phone and everything was identical.

And in the middle of this I got a text message from AT&T warning me that I had only 50 MB left of my 500 MB monthly allotment. Apparently Speedtest is a major data pig.

The story is actually even worse. It took two hours to sign up at the AT&T store on Sunday and I ended up with a prepaid plan because Experian has the last two digits of my social security number transposed. And to fix the problem requires that I get a replacement social security card and fax it to them, which takes a couple of weeks. And until this morning I couldn't get my old phone number ported from T-Mobile because I have no record of my T-Mobile pin number, and no one knew how to reset it. I have about eight hours of personal time invested in moving from T-Mobile to AT&T.

When I was a kid our phone number was 6-6792, for a big black phone plugged into the wall. Area codes were unnecessary because if you wanted to call long distance you called the operator.

This phone thing has gotten completely out of hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones