• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root taking the plunge and rooting 2.2

starboat1

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
I have a HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and I want to upgrade to 2.3 and root and unlock it from T-Mobile (UK) Branded
really I want to try a rom with no bloated apps and services to keep battery use down to a miniumum

Ive read that its best to keep it on 2.2 then root, then upgrade to 2.3, is it safe to unlock at this point?
ive downloaded 'sim unlock utility from Sieempi' will this work ok?

as recommended im gonna use AmonRA 2.0.1.

Ive listed all the details of my phone below, is there anything i should be aware of

baseband 32.49.00.32u_5.11.0527
Kernel 2.6.32.15-gd96f2co
build 2.12.110.4cl274424
software 2.12.110.4

Hboot 0.93.0001
Bravo PVT1 Ship S-ON
Radio 5-11-05-27
Microp-031d

Thanks for looking

if you want to unlock the phone to any network then use the util from Sieempi

if you are wanting an 2.3 rom and you want root, it is better to root first then flash a rooted version of 2.3 afterwards. this means you dont have to s-off and you can choose that at a later date.

you assume amonRA? you are a pvt1 device, this means you can use cwm2.5.0.7 or amonRA
i would recommend you go with CWM2.5.0.7 (which also comes bundled with unrevoked 3.21) as this is the recovery most people are using and if you need help within recovery you will have a more active response

hope this helps

Upvote 0
everything went well, done my backup no bug, i went for the [AOSP][Stock 2.3.4] F1 Gingerbread V3. very smooth for me and better battery life, like a brand new phone again :)

only thing is the camera dosent seem as good, i researched this more and seems some roms cant do 720p, is there a apk fix for this? or another aosp rom, ive looked thru the list of roms but cant see any regarding camera.

no problem, make sure you do a nandroid backup of the phone before you flash anything

do not use rom manager on the phone

to boot to recovery hold voldown+power from "off"
if the phone doesnt boot after doing a backup then just restore the backup you made (common bug)

Upvote 0
go easy its my 1st rom - this shite rom is better than the bloatware of t-mobile.

I didnt know it was not a real rom, im confused now, whats the downside to having this rom? apart from the 720p and the usual bugs you get with roms.

ppl were giving it good reports on xda - can you recommend something similar which has unbroken 720p and compatible with my setup?

baseband 32.49.00.32u_5.11.0527
Kernel 2.6.32.15-gd96f2co
build 2.12.110.4cl274424
software 2.12.110.4

Hboot 0.93.0001
Bravo PVT1 Ship S-ON
Radio 5-11-05-27
Microp-031d

Upvote 0
The fact is the guy took the Oxygen rom, ran it through a basic modification (DSIXDA Kitchen) with some basic options that ANYONE could do, called himself a dev, passed it off as his own work and asked for money for it. The rom itself is good, because its oxygen. The rebadging of the rom? Feckin' disgraceful

If you want 720, you have to have a sense rom. Cant suggest one, dont like sense.

Upvote 0
The fact is the guy took the Oxygen rom, ran it through a basic modification (DSIXDA Kitchen) with some basic options that ANYONE could do, called himself a dev, passed it off as his own work and asked for money for it. The rom itself is good, because its oxygen. The rebadging of the rom? Feckin' disgraceful

If you want 720, you have to have a sense rom. Cant suggest one, dont like sense.

devnul actually :p then he added a2sd via init.d

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones