• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tethering and Connecting to Hotspot

This may be a stupd question - but if you wirelessly tether your EVO, does this allow you to use the Internet on the same device that you just tethered using the same wireless network?

Hope this makes sense....
:eek:

Not sure I am getting what you are asking but here is an example. If I tether my Evo to my laptop, my laptop then has internet access through my Evo on 3g/4g service.

Upvote 0
I think I answered my question.

What I was thinking was similar to a LAN where you have a home network and a Local network where one of the computers on that network connects to itself, actually.

I am confusing the Wide Area Network (WAN) with a LAN.

So to answer, no. If you wirelessly tether your EVO it is only to be able to allow all OTHER computers within range of the EVO to connect to IT, and not to connect to
"itself".

If I have further confused the issue, please don't hesitate to set me straight, it's ok.

At least I know what I'm asking, I hope someone else does, too.

Upvote 0
Please elaborate, please. I just convinced myself of the opposite.

I CAN connect to the Internet using my own device as a wireless hotspot?

Or else I'll just have to wait until I root my EVO and try it myself.

Let me see if I got it this time.....you are asking if once you enable the hotspot on your evo and connect say a laptop to it, can you still use the evo to access the internet on the phone itself?

Upvote 0
I understood your question differently. Right now I'm trying to create a direct connection between my iPad and my Android phone using SMB but the only way I can do that is through a physical router in between. I need to figure out if I can get an ad-hoc link using tethering for that matter I need my phone to connect to itself, something I don't know for sure if it's possible at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones