• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tethering without Kies?

zkimble

Lurker
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone used their Galaxy S as a tethered modem without installing Kies?

According to the manual, you can just set the phone's USB settings to "PC Internet" then plug it into the computer. Supposedly after that you just follow "on screen instructions" to install the phone as a modem (presumably the add new hardware wizard).

Has this worked for anyone? I tried it on two computers and the hardware wizard failed. Does anyone know where to download the necessary drivers?

Apparently installing Kies installs the drivers needed, so you can then tether the phone without running Kies. The problem is that Kies requires an internet connection to install, so even if you carry around a kies install on the phone, you end up in a catch-22.

All of this was done on XP pro SP3. I have an international I9000 with ZSJF7 baseband.

Hello, I own the Vibrant, and in the Vibrant forums, I have posted instructions on how to tether the samsung galaxy s vibrant without using samsung kies. All you need is your phone, a usb cable, correct drivers, and windows dial-up connection.

Please visit the instructions I posted here. If they help you please let me know, or if you run into problems let me know, I'll try to help.

Link Below:

http://androidforums.com/vibrant-tips-tricks/167970-tethering-how-instructions.html

please keep in mind the number *99# works for t-mobile, use the correct setting for your carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones