• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Case Thread post your case finds here!

for my nexus 7 i got the 360degree rotating leather purple case for 8pounds from eBay with astyles pen included. its a great case iv had it for a few days, very sturdy, useful for typing essays on portrait mode and playing games in landscape as well as watching movies.
the only negative is that a few chips of the leather had come of around one edge around the screen but overall great case. .

i might get a silicon case for spare use.

which case have you guys found are the best?

Upvote 0
419KZydAT8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just got this one from Amazon. Only $9.99.

Its decent... better than spending $30 at Walmart. Screen protector is nice, the stylus is a piece of junk, as is the charger. But I didn't expect great quality for only $9.99. All made in China.

I'm pleased with it. The magnet works great, and it folds to the perfect angle.

*The stylus is cheap plastic that is hollow, but it does work just fine. I just feel like I'm going to break it...

Upvote 0
Reactions: Homan13PSU
Upvote 0
My case didn't offer much protection for me. I dropped my N7 about 18" to a wood floor on the lower right corner and shattered the screen. I hope someone comes up with a case with closed and padded corners. Search Google and you'll find a LOT of people out there with cracked screens. Looks to be pretty fragile. HOLD ONTO IT WITH BOTH HANDS! I just bought my second N7 last night.

Joe

Upvote 0
I'd guess that at least half of everyone who has ever broken a device has immediately decried that device as being "fragile."

The reality is that the physics involved in the fall and how they impacted the particular device are complicated. You could drop something ten times and have it be fine, and then drop it an eleventh time and have the thing shatter and quit working.

These are tightly packed electronics with glass screens. I'd suggest that we can refer to ALL of them as "fragile" and it's unlikely that the N7 is more or less fragile than other tablets :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that link tmaertin. While that case is a bit pricey it might have saved me the cost of buying a second N7 to replace the one I dropped and broke. If mine hadn't hit right on the corner it probably would have survived. The case you listed looks to have good corner protection. I'll wait to see some reviews before I order one. It's amazing how fast the market is catching up to this new tablet. New products coming out every day.

Joe

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got the m-edge case and targus stylus from Staples last weekend. It's not bad, the magnet will toggle the screen when I set it up to view at an angle if I put it on it's left side (buttons up).

Been seriously considering returning it. It's alright, but I just don't seem to like it. I like the stylus though, it's good. Sketchbook Mobile Pro is pretty good with it.

Edit: I just realized if you turn the n7 on the side (buttons down) you can make the case a triangle that puts it a really great angle for use on a tabletop. The other angles are good, but this is better. The edge of the screen near the case are harder to use, and the buttons are difficult to get at though. Returning today.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
For anyone interested in really nice (but really expensive) leather covers, I just got mail saying Oberon Design now has Nexus 7 covers:

Leather Nexus 7 Covers, Artisan Leather Nexus 7 tablet Covers. Oberon

I have an Oberon Design cover I really like for my kindle, but I'm not sure how well the same design would work with the power and volume buttons on the Nexus 7.

Upvote 0
I got this one today at Bureau en Gros (Staples) for 35$ (Can) +Tax

Hipstreet Asus Google Nexus 7" Rotating Case - Hipstreet

I like the feel and the finish, it has a classic look too. I'll know tomorrow how the Nexus 7 handles in it as i haven't received it yet. Too bad there aren't many stores that hold the accessories yet, there was only another case for me to compare it (@BestBuy) and I didn't like it.

Upvote 0
Sigh. Another screwup on the Poetic case:

Dear Buyer,

This is an update regarding your recent order for the Poetic Slimline Nexus 7 case. Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have discovered a new manufacturing defect in our entire second batch of cases. (This may be the replacements we have sent out to you) In an attempt to fix the excessively strong magnet on the backside of the case, a piece of iron was inserted to block out the magnetism when the case is folded back. Although this has solved the problem of putting the Nexus 7 to sleep when the cover is folded all the way back, it added too much weight to the front cover. As a result, the front cover is not able to magnetically hold itself to the case to keep it closed. We are currently working on this issue in our third and final batch of these cases. We will not send them until we have inspected every factor on this case. However, due to the fact that we are making sure there will absolutely be no defects on the final version of these cases, they will not be available until 9/13/2012 to ship out. (They will be sent out free of charge) You can also keep the defective cases while you wait for the final version. The new cases will have also remedied the issue of the cover not being able to be folded all the way back as this was a popular feature many of our customers have expressed to us. We sincerely apologize of all of the inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Customer Service Team

It's nice that they're fixing it, but it'd be nice if they, you know, spent 5 minutes testing the thing before releasing it.

I mean, really? Nobody folded the cover of the first batch behind the N7? And on this one, nobody noticed the cover doesn't stay shut?

Upvote 0
The magnets are apparently really tricky to get right, and there may be variations in the way different Nexus 7s react to the strength of the magnet. I just replaced my YooMee case with the very similar Moko case because I liked the button cutout and elastic band for holding the cover open better than the YooMee, but the magnet on the Moko case is too weak to work all the time, and the magnet on the YooMee case sometimes works too well (especially if I slide the cover back and forth a bit while it is folded back, it will sometimes turn off the Nexus).

I do wonder why they didn't embed the piece of iron in the back of the Poetic case though. That wouldn't affect the weight of the cover at all.

Upvote 0
I have the second iteration of the Poetic case in my hands now, and sure enough, the cover is far too heavy for the tiny magnets they put in place to hold it down.

When I first ordered it, I also didn't realize that you couldn't fold the cover completely flat behind the device.

I get it; these are relatively inexpensive cases and they're cutting every corner. I kind of have to shake my head in amazement, though, when they overlook the glaringly obvious need to be able to fold the cover back, then issue two separate iterations of the case that both have design flaws.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones