• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Drone Thread

well in the video she was flying the drone in fpv on a fpv drone course and hit one of the obstacles, so i'm guessing she gets to keep it, or maybe she paid for it at a discounted price. she pretty much always gets the latest drone the dji puts out.

DJI stuff is usually to keep, for the reviewers big enough to get them. Others will go buy for a 'unbiased' review, but they would always disclaim that (if they bought themselves)

Upvote 0
I had to re up my FAA drone registration which prompted me to mess with it some. It took some time to charge the batteries for the drone and controller, update the associated apps on my phone, update the drone firmware, and establish a connection between drone and controller. I'm ready to fly once more. :) My software says my last flight was in Oct. of 18 so there was a learning curve all over again to get things set up and ready to roll. No doubt I will have to relearn how to fly as well.
I only had 14 flights logged so it's not like I was an accomplished pilot when cold weather stopped the hobby back in 2018. I'm now anxious to fly some.

Part of the renewed interest is due to my gifting my RC cars to my son a couple of weeks ago, I had a Traxxas Slash and a Traxxas E-Revo that I played with for a couple of years. Also a fun hobby but somewhat expensive and frustrating. It was a good day racing and running the cars when you came home and they weren't broken in some degree. Parts are available and many are into rebuilding and modifying RC cars. To me it was frustrating so I retired my cars about a decade ago. My son had an interest in getting them back into running shape for his grandsons. He had them running up and down his street yesterday.. I hope the grandkiddies get their turn sometime:)

Upvote 0
Want to see some of your footage Rick!
I guess I lost my video captures when I upgraded phones... twice since they were taken. :)
I did find one pic of my cabin.
cabin.jpg

I have made some changes to the cabin since 2018. I extended the deck to the trees to the right and put a stairway down to the back. It also has a new roof and the power to the cabin is now underground.
I have some more pictures of trees... lots of trees but they aren't that exciting.

I'm anxious to get down there and get some updated pictures. I'd also like to do a flyover of the river.
It's been so dry here that it won't be impressive.. but I lost all the vids I have of it.

Upvote 0
I guess I lost my video captures when I upgraded phones... twice since they were taken. :)
I did find one pic of my cabin.
View attachment 158536

I have made some changes to the cabin since 2018. I extended the deck to the trees to the right and put a stairway down to the back. It also has a new roof and the power to the cabin is now underground.
I have some more pictures of trees... lots of trees but they aren't that exciting.

I'm anxious to get down there and get some updated pictures. I'd also like to do a flyover of the river.
It's been so dry here that it won't be impressive.. but I lost all the vids I have of it.

Dope looking! And I feel ya, I made a whole video on my city, which is a bit less remote than yours, but mostly trees, Kroger, and the city building, lol

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
It very pretty there my friend. I love the trees! The majority of the trees around here border the waterways. Fields of corn, wheat, and soybean is what I'd capture around my city. It is within a military no fly zone so you will just have to imagine... boring. :) There isn't much of interest around the cabin either for that matter. Fields border the river and that sums it up. The river doesn't amount to much either. It's feeds a man made lake that is the primary reservoir for water in these parts. I'm down river and only get what they deem isn't needed. In other words, I get flood water. :) I wish I had my drone when it flooded last. Here is a pic before the cabin was on an island.
Flood.jpg

Upvote 0
I decided I would do a bit of flying today. I gathered up my stuff and headed for the cabin. I no more than got down there and the wind came up. I'm guessing gusts around 25mph. Dash! I decided I'd trying flying just a little.. close.. low.. practice some that I much need. I get set up and I'm hit with a critical update to install. I skirted that to find that my controller was at 42% charge.
I thought I had charged it but now I remember I only charged it enough to connect to the drone and do my updates a week ago. My bad. I flew for a few minutes fighting the wind and called it a day. It was a typical day flying for me. :) It was still fun.. though frustrating.

Upvote 0
The Yuneec Q500 4K is a wonderful and high-quality drone. I have had it for more than 2 years, and it works very well till now. I am satisfied with the results obtained with this drone. What I recommend is to be careful not to break it down. It has a flight of only 25 minutes, and in case it fades into a tree, or something similar, it can break very easily. I broke it once, but I quickly found a way to fix it in some drone guides. And now everything works as before. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with this drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I just made a mistake and looked up the specs for the DJI Mavic 3.... and DAMN>>> 10 mile range, 45 min flight time, 45mph.... and that camera....... ^&*%^&($^(*%^&*(%&*(^

Yeah, but for 2 grand you could just rent time in a small plane. :p

wow i'm glad i did not see this earlier. i might have spent that money easily on this drone. luckily that money has been spent on getting a Sleep Number bed. so now i'm gonna have to wait maybe next year. hopefully by then the price will drop.

Upvote 0
The DJI mini 3 looks good , i'm just afraid to spend the money and then crash and burn on first flight :cool:
its pretty easy to fly these things now. the mini 3 pro has avoidance cameras that makes it pretty hard to crash it into something. the hardest thing would be to fly it in the wind and making sure that you have enough battery to be able to return home safely.

this thing looks like a beast at a decent price. the controller looks pretty top notch as well...........maybe Santa might give me one for xmas!!!!!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
its pretty easy to fly these things now. the mini 3 pro has avoidance cameras that makes it pretty hard to crash it into something. the hardest thing would be to fly it in the wind and making sure that you have enough battery to be able to return home safely.

this thing looks like a beast at a decent price. the controller looks pretty top notch as well...........maybe Santa might give me one for xmas!!!!!

Tell him to stop by my house when he leaves yours lol

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones