• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Internet's birthday

Just think, none of us would be *HERE* if not for the birth 44 years ago of the Internet!

Happy birthday you vast Interwebs. My life would not be the same without you. :D

Just as victory has many fathers, great events often have many birthdays. We choose Oct. 29, 1969, as Day One of the Internet (which would make it 44 years old today) for a good reason. That was when the very first message moved between the first two computers connected on the new network designed to link the numerous computer science projects funded by the government.

That morning, an operator at Professor Leonard Kleinrock's lab in UCLA's Boelter Hall began tapping out the word "LOGIN" and sending it to a sister computer at SRI, a government contractor, in Menlo Park, Calif. (The linked computers were known as Interface Message Processors, or IMPs; UCLA's was IMP-1.) He got as far as "LO" before the SRI unit crashed. Later that day the bug was fixed and the message completed. Within a year, ARPAnet linked 10 computers across the country...

Source.

:party:

Happy Birthday Internet. Without which, pictures of cats would not be possible.

cat-happy-birthday-01.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe that the internet retroactivly invented the camera just for pictures of cats. I read that on the internet somewhere...
Well, that's good enough for me! We all know that anything on the Internet is definitely true. :laugh:

Reactions: rabidhunter
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones