• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The iPad hath been jailbroken, FYI

First off, thats old news and second, what do you mean by your post? Jailbreaking it is just like rooting your Android phone, you are gaining root access. I am sure devs could hack any Android phone the day it comes out too...

Well obviously--Android is open-source software. Google even encourages programming it, hell, they give you, for free, a program to gain root access into the adb shell: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

The iPhone OS however is not, no third party apps, nada, Apple wants complete control making it much more difficult to gain root access. This development, from an objective standpoint, is definitely something Apple did not want to happen evidenced through the obvious fact that the iPhone OS is markedly closed-source.

Upvote 0
First off, thats old news and second, what do you mean by your post? Jailbreaking it is just like rooting your Android phone, you are gaining root access. I am sure devs could hack any Android phone the day it comes out too...

Android is a linux based distro, unix. Android is also open source. Now the OS of the ipad should be unix based too if I'm correct, and in this case the ipad is locked and closed source.

Don't compare something as open as Android to closed source like the ipad.

Upvote 0
Well obviously--Android is open-source software. Google even encourages programming it, hell, they give you, for free, a program to gain root access into the adb shell: Android SDK | Android Developers

The iPhone OS however is not, no third party apps, nada, Apple wants complete control making it much more difficult to gain root access. This development, from an objective standpoint, is definitely something Apple did not want to happen evidenced through the obvious fact that the iPhone OS is markedly closed-source.

Apples has known about the security flaw that allows jailbreaking the iPhone for about 2 years now and its the same one in the iPad. They could have released a patch to fix it and prevent users from jailbreaking long ago if they really wanted to. I think they are just kind of looking the other way and allowing it.

Upvote 0
Apples has known about the security flaw that allows jailbreaking the iPhone for about 2 years now and its the same one in the iPad. They could have released a patch to fix it and prevent users from jailbreaking long ago if they really wanted to. I think they are just kind of looking the other way and allowing it.

Or they know it's pointless because no one has ever made an OS that devs couldn't figure out how to hack and customize...Apple looking the other way? Umm..yeah

Upvote 0

Its because any user who isn't a complete moron has probably already jail broken their iphone.. so if they alienate the intelligent user base, they would lose anyone out there who can actually argue apple makes decent products and knows what they are talking about.

Bricking millions of iphones is by no means a good idea.

Upvote 0
Its because any user who isn't a complete moron has probably already jail broken their iphone.. so if they alienate the intelligent user base, they would lose anyone out there who can actually argue apple makes decent products and knows what they are talking about.

Bricking millions of iphones is by no means a good idea.

You KNOW Apples thought about it. Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones