• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The M8 with Lollipop

Dude it Sux.. I haven't heard anything but bad things about it so far from others.. screwed up my tablet to the point where I almost can't use it

Maybe we can redirect issues with your tablet to that device forum and try to troubleshoot from there.

Lets try and keep an open mind about the pending update to the M8 since we still haven't received it yet. :)

Upvote 0
Dude it Sux.. I haven't heard anything but bad things about it so far from others.. screwed up my tablet to the point where I almost can't use it
The number of people happy with it on legacy devices holds up that you got a bad flash.

That, like the rain, can happen anywhere.

It sucks when it gets you, no argument.

But just because it rained on you doesn't mean that it's going to rain on everyone, everywhere, forevermore.

Try resetting your tablet and try asking someone in your tablet forum for help, maybe you can just reflash it.

Sorry about your Lollipop update from Google.

It doesn't apply to the Lollipop update from HTC that's yet to come.

Every major update carries some risk. Sorry but there it is.

Neither is this the place to derail the entire topic of when for a phone over what went wrong on your tablet.

Hope you get that sorted.

Reactions: ekyle and Granite1
Upvote 0
Other sites are reporting this is due to Full Disk Encryption. A Nexus 6 was tested with and without FDE and with it was slowed to a crawl. It is up to the supplier as to whether is it turned on and in some cases there is no option to turn it off. No 5 for my M8 until I read reviews on this matter.
Yeah.

And the prerelease AOSP that Anandtech - the actual source of all this - was found to not be using the Qualcomm (maker of the Nexii processor and yours) hardware functions specifically for storage I/O.

Regardless, a whole thread exists at XDA with the conclusion that despite the AnTuTu benchmark results, no actual performance difference is felt by users.

Read up all you want, information is power but don't mix apples and oranges.

In 2012, the big Nexus fail on storage was dirty buffers due to an error in the kernel build procedure.

Despite all warnings to the contrary, many HTC owners without the problem ignored the patch warning to apply only where needed (HTC never got that wrong despite the beliefs of the Nexus Faithful), applied that patch and promptly bricked their HTCs.

You can't read about prerelease or even release Nexus failures and then go along with the masses that it proves something about the latest Android.

OK, you can. But if you believe it you're going to brick a non Nexus.

Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 and Nexus 10 issues have no more to do with the HTC One M8 than the Droid Turbo.

Unfortunately, every blog you're going to read will tell you otherwise.

I've done Android rom and kernel development, and kernel development for Linux and several BSD variants. I know the truth OK. :D

Nexus kernel - is not any other kernel.

It's not the same from Nexus to Nexus either.

The M8 is likely to have some 5.0 bugs. Coming later and coming with an HTC kernel - they're going to be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Other sites are reporting this is due to Full Disk Encryption. A Nexus 6 was tested with and without FDE and with it was slowed to a crawl. It is up to the supplier as to whether is it turned on and in some cases there is no option to turn it off. No 5 for my M8 until I read reviews on this matter.
Yes, but that's due to the implementation of AOSP encryption and is specific to the hardware of the nexus 6, not android 5.0.

The nitty gritty details are out there if you really want to find it, but the morale of the story is you can't jump to conclusions based on entirely different hardware. Confounding that are issues specific to AOSP and companies not wanting to make the more optimized code open source.

I will say in general - devices taking the OTA for lollipop are NOT encrypted during the OTA. Only devices shipping with 5.0 are encrypted by default.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones