• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The new iPhone

The average person generally doesn't use their phone for work. And if they do, blackberry is still king.

That is the most absurd comment I've read from you. People get work issued phone all the time. Yes Blackberry is king in this regards.

Absurd huh?if business's furnish phones for their employee's, its generally a small percentage of employee's that do get them.(compared to those that don't) What's absurd is your style of thinking here, chief.

You have a nasty little habit of taking the most obscure details that wouldn't affect the. General populus and throw it out of proportion. Just to let you know, I will be here to call you on your b.s. I might not catch all of it, but I will catch most of it.

NEWSFLASH: the majority of the american workforce is blue collar! And kids in their tweens/college years also make up a large portion of the smartphone user base. And guess what... none of those phones are furnished by the companies they work for(if any).

Maybe amongst your little circle its the other way around, but I assure you, most people pay for their own phones, which is why you see so many cost comparison threads as well.

Please, take a minute to step out of your little bubble and join the real world.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
I think we have to be honest with ourselves. Most people are not like us and will be very impressed with the new iPhone. Also, the full reviews are not out yet, and I am betting that most will be complimentary (whether or not the reviewer thinks it's "gamechanging, again").

My view is that there will always be people who want the iPhone and are willing to pay for it. There will also always be people who either don't want the iPhone or are not willing to pay for it.

Those who don't want the iPhone have many reasons for the same:
1. philosophical differences, not happy with Apple's biz practices or closed system;
2. iTunes!
3. think it's a good product but one that is over-rated, overhyped, and/or overpriced. Perhaps they dislike the way the iPhone is almost like a status symbol;
4. dislike the way Apple strings customers along by withholding basic functionality so that it can be unveiled (with much fanfare and hyperbole) in the next iteration of the device - thus making sure people continue to buy their product. This is clever marketing and they are a business after all, but people can choose not to succumb to this tactic;
5. people who really want to customize and tweak their phones the way they want them;
6. tech and objective preferences - people who prefer the way other phones or phone OSes run, or like a certain sort of hardware and specs for their phone, or want true multi-tasking, or really prefer and like typing on a physical keyboard (I know quite a few people like that, who just cannot stand touch screens);
7. those who are not interested at all in games in any case;
8. people who wish to be linked constantly to the cloud to update news, social networking sites, and really like the concept of widgets and live notification;
9. people who think the iPhone is too popular and want to be different or stand out from the cloud.
10. people who can't stand the way certain Apple fans are so smug and brainwashed to disparage others, and think the marketing of Apple actually encourages that sort of attitude.

So I think both Android and iPHones will continue to co-exist, because there are all kinds of people in this world.

:)

Upvote 0
One of my friends has iOS4 running on his iPhone (he's a developer). He was showing off everything it can do, and I really didn't have the heart to say "Oh my Incredible can do that already..." iOS4 looks beautiful though, but that might be the apple fan in me speaking ;)

The new iPhone is impressive though, I have to say. Apple's shooting themselves in the foot by only making it available on AT&T though. Here in NY VZW has the best coverage, so most people I know use them, SO MANY held out for the iPhone and were pissed that there was no Verizon news.

I was passing around my Incredible a lot to fed up Verizon customers! Everyone's been wanting to test drive it.

Upvote 0
Absurd huh?if business's furnish phones for their employee's, its generally a small percentage of employee's that do get them.(compared to those that don't) ...

+1...but FWIW, my co-worker just told me that a govt. agency (generally a BB shop) will/have started integrating the iPhone for comms./remote access. I was surprised.

I haven't used an Apple product since playing Lemonade Stand on a IIe, but the more I see it, the more I'm considering buying one, just to have, for no other reason than the machined frame and the fact that its utilized as an antenna...well that and thre is sling support since my current "touch screen" phone will never get it.

STEEL IS REAL BABY!!!

:p

piu.jpg

Upvote 0
It's all about profile,

The media tends to hang off Apple's every move, this must be the only event in the IT world that gets this much universal press attention. So whether intentional or not, the media are playing the role of Apple's best advertising format.

Everyone interested in fancy phones is now well aware that Apple has a new on on the way; they won't know about the alternatives unless the shops tell them.

Upvote 0
+1...but FWIW, my co-worker just told me that a govt. agency (generally a BB shop) will/have started integrating the iPhone for comms./remote access. I was surprised.

Thats because it has hardware encryption, remote wipe capabilities, higher grade wifi encryption that doesn't exist on Android. Some of this is being promised in Froyo.

Upvote 0
Right...but just seems like a complete turnaround, given what's been required for "access" lately.

I re-read your posting. When you say "access" it could mean they require a certain type of vpn connectivity. Again, these features are not implemented in Android but exist in Blackberry and iPhone iOS 3+. I know I can't access any of my work computers with my Android phone but I can with an iPhone. Same applies for email.

Upvote 0
lol..this is so true..here in the Philippines, we've had that technology since 2006 and we also have good 3G networks to support that feature, but it never really bloomed for us...

..depends on the culture i guess..

With the iPhone's version, it's not very useful. You can't use it while moving from place to place (i.e. riding a bus, or passenger in a car), and you pretty much have to sit still to use it... can't walk around.

So, if you have to use your wifi, why not just use skype on your computer. It's going to be far more reliable than AT&T's network, and you can talk to far more people...

Upvote 0
I re-read your posting. When you say "access" it could mean they require a certain type of vpn connectivity. Again, these features are not implemented in Android but exist in Blackberry and iPhone iOS 3+. I know I can't access any of my work computers with my Android phone but I can with an iPhone. Same applies for email.

Oh, I'm not debating one platform over another, just stating that its not always about "capability" as much as its sometimes about "approval". Some sites are less "accessible" than others.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones