• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official "I got mine" thread.

Now that I have one, gotta figure out if it's worth the $300

Mine is worth it.. Huge over the OV that I still have ( couldn't give er up lol ) It always knows where the Evo is and will be a sweet remote for it.. As for the not being able to add a city to clock mine works fine.. The handset has to be synced to a gmail account to work.. One thing that bugged me is a icon in status for having gps and the google tracking rubbish turned off looks like a tilted owls head to me.. Grrrr

Upvote 0
Mine is worth it.. Huge over the OV that I still have ( couldn't give er up lol ) It always knows where the Evo is and will be a sweet remote for it.. As for the not being able to add a city to clock mine works fine.. The handset has to be synced to a gmail account to work.. One thing that bugged me is a icon in status for having gps and the google tracking rubbish turned off looks like a tilted owls head to me.. Grrrr

Unlock the bootloader and flash my Rom and those issues go away

Upvote 0
This is why you let a store activate it!! Enjoying the customer service ride my friend.. once was enough for me..

finally after about 3 hours its activated and up and running fine. I should have just let them do it at the store but I was really hungry haha. I gotta say the CS at VM was pretty awesome. I guess they were having some issues on there end. Thats what they were telling me anyway.

Upvote 0
Got mine this afternoon at a local RS. Many RS locations in Greater Seattle showing the phone is in stock. Local RS said they got them in express mail late yesterday. They weren't on the shelf yet, however.

Had issues with uprgrading to this phone, though. CS took forever. Now about 2 hrs since phone was activated and all is working, except for the 4g. I'm in a good 4g area and CS said it would take 3-4 hours for it to come up and work. Hope they're right.....

Upvote 0
Was anyone able to buy the phone without having to activate it with radioshack? They gave me hell last year with the optimus v and I don't want to deal with that again but i also don't really want to wait till next week to see if other retailers get the evo since a radioshack in my area supposedly has one.

Upvote 0
Was anyone able to buy the phone without having to activate it with radioshack? They gave me hell last year with the optimus v and I don't want to deal with that again but i also don't really want to wait till next week to see if other retailers get the evo since a radioshack in my area supposedly has one.

I bought mine at radioshack. They said they'd do the swap and I said no thanks I'll do it at home. No problems.

Upvote 0
I bought mine at radioshack. They said they'd do the swap and I said no thanks I'll do it at home. No problems.

Same here. Virgin Mobile had a rough time getting it activated. I tried the website first, it failed. I then called them, and the second person I spoked to finally got it going. Took a couple hours, though.

Everything seems to be working, however, text messaging is throwing me some strange errors. Just had this one pop up while texting;

"SMS Error, Radio Interface Resource Shortage"

The general operation of the phone is so much better than -anything- Virgin Mobile has ever offered ... it's very nice.

Upvote 0
Did I read that it only has 1gb of built-in memory instead of 4gb? And yes, I know it has 1gb of RAM.
There is a total of 4GB of storage, after ICS and Sense is loaded there is approximately 1GB left for user storage. Contrast that with the Widfire S which DOES have 1GB of storage and barely leaves the user with ~120 MB.

Upvote 0
We just picked one up @ the RS in Redlands, CA. The sales person said they had "a few more" in the back but he wouldn't give me an exact number. They didn't have any on the floor and no display for them. Online said they were in-stock so we thought we'd check.

This one's for my wife because we bought the Venture for her and that thing is such a POS! Anyway, I can live with my Triumph a few days longer & she deserves a new phone more than I do after dealing with the Venture.

So we tried to activate it and we called VM because I read about the problems with activation on here. Anyway, they did it but said something about sending the activation to a special department and that porting the phone # over to the HTC would take up to 4 hours. Plus, they charged $40 (she switched from $25 to $35 plan + insurance) to my wife's account and then credited something like $15 back to the account for the part of the month that wasn't used so far.

We're still waiting for it to activate but it's only been about an hour since we called.

So far this phone is AMAZING and I'm jealous that my wife got it first.

p.s. Sorry for the super long post!

Upvote 0
After getting past the first telephone support person, and holding, and then on to the actual technical support (second person), they put me on hold for about 20 mins, then came back on, indicated that the phone was activated, and asked me to leave it off for another 20 to 30 minutes. I put the battery back in after 30 minutes, turned it on, and it was good to go. After a reboot this evening, that seems to have cleared up the texting issue, and text messaging is working fine.

After dealing with the Optimus V and then the Triumph, this Evo is a really wonderful device, worth every cent of this purchase so far.

The 3D is really interesting, somewhat of a gimmick of course, but by golly it really does work.

Upvote 0
If anyone is having problems with activation, just keep trying. I had activation problems for about 5 hours today after I got the phone. Had to call VM 3 times and kept getting error 131, 16 and 1022 on various options.

The last rep finally said that so many customers are activating the Evo that the network was having issues and that they were escalating the problem. I asked for compensation and she said she'd put $10 on my account so we'll see but I kept trying after that and it finally activated.

Smooth sailing so far after.

~Novak

Upvote 0
I have to admit, my experiences with VM customer service in the past were a little hit or miss, but even with the strange activation activity on this particular device, the customer support folks were very responsive, and seemed geniunely interested in getting the phone running.

I was very impressed with how they handled this.

Upvote 0
If you already have existing VM service just ignore the "auto activation" stuff by hitting cancel. Activate your phone on the web and follow the instructions they provide (aka dial ##CLEAR#, hit menu and reset the phone)

Omg I love this phone!

Got mine at Radioshack today, hoping the VM order I cancelled isn't actually shipped. Otherwise that'll be a long phone call with VM CSR's.

Sense is kind of gimmicky (but then again the entire phone is with the whole 3D thing.) At least it looks nice, I like it better than stock ICS. It's quick, its really fast, it's awesome.

Mine has had some weird signal issues as I drove around when switching 3G towers, not sure if that's a common issue with this phone or not. (Mine is with the sprint branding)

Dude this thing has visual voicemail!
The display is gorgeous and the camera takes great pics. This makes the triumph look like the piece of garbage it really was.
I'm so scared to use it until my otterbox comes, but I can't help it!

Upvote 0
Impressions so far:

3G seems to go in and out while driving around but that may have been a network issue.

Do get done 4g in my town which supposedly we did not have so that's cool (fair signal outside my house).

Bummed about Hulu. Hopefully that gets solved soon.

Phone is much higher quality of build, signal etc than my triumph was.

Evo 3d accessories work fine. Got a case and screen protector with no problems. Guy at best buy thought it was the regular evo 3d till I told him it was vm (they had not received then yet).

So far very happy with the purchase. Looking forward to getting it more figured out.

Question: I should be able to move my sd card from my triumph to this to save my music and pictures correct? If both phones are off I can just switch them?

Upvote 0
I got mine yesterday at the RS in Elizabeth, NJ and I got the reflashed Sprint edition as well. Also it took about an hour for them to set it up -__- but now everything is perfect!

Although I'm not definite about this ICS update, my camera app doesn't have the Panorama option, not sure if its because its Sense 3.6's camera and not ICS's though. No big deal, just waiting for a root/Sense 4.0 or MIUI port that's full

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones