• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The woman needs a new phone

MdPhoenix

Dec 9, 2009
She's had a Fascinate for a year now. And hates it. In fact, so do I. Unless I'm just flashing it improperly, it's a junk phone. It's slow. It reboots. It hangs. It doesn't receive messages.

VZW is replacing it for her but I see a new phone in her future....

I have a Thunderbolt and love it. But VZW doesn't offer them any more. I've considered finding a used one, but I think I'm going to buy her something new.

This being said, what should I get her? I'm partial to HTC. What's good out there? I want something rootable, something well supported, and something stable. Speed doesn't matter. Performance doesn't matter. Stability matters. It doesn't lock up, it doesn't crash, it doesn't reboot.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

She's had a Fascinate for a year now. And hates it. In fact, so do I. Unless I'm just flashing it improperly, it's a junk phone. It's slow. It reboots. It hangs. It doesn't receive messages.

Have you tried putting putting an ICS Rom on the Fascinate? There are quite a few that run super smooth with minimal issues. I have never ran stock but have tried a friend's who had a stock VZW one and yes is wasn't good.

The AOKP ICS Rom for the Fascinate is amazing. It has no issues and I have seen some comparison videos between a Fascinate and Galaxy Nexus running it and there is very little or no difference, minus the 4G speeds. After putting it on my phone I really see no need to upgrade for a long time.

If you haven't tried it, I say give it a go before you change her to another phone.

Reactions: MdPhoenix
Upvote 0
Its actually super easy, just follow the instructions step by step and it will be fine.

Supa's Useless Information: How to flash ICS on the Samsung Fascinate!

This link is the instructions for flashing the Team Hacksung build. I have tried it and AOKP and found AOKP to be better for me. But the intructions are actually the same for flashing AOKP. Just substitute the AOKP build for the Version 8 build in the intructions. Also use AOKP Gapps file instead.

Latest AOKP build, use build 32.1
Index of /aokp/fascinate/

Gapps file found on bottom of the page
Build 32 - Releases - Releases - News

Remember that everything will be wiped so its like starting from day one. You can backup programs with Titanium backup but I have always found starting completely from scratch to be the best option, guess it really just depends if you can tolerate downloading her apps again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones