• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root think I am screwed, root went fine then POW

Those errors are fine. The recovery does not know what os version you have so it attempts to backup everything. If there is nothing there it skips it. That's all that happened

thanks... since I have 3 quick backups like 5 minutes apart trying to solve this, can I just delete the 3 dated folders with Astro and just keep the first 1 that actually took?

Upvote 0
now you can feel free to install your baseband lol i suggest to try petes under bugless beast. it works great for most people. remember to update towers with *228. when you feel like it lol!

is that in here? if not, where might it be and can I read about it?

I want to do a baseband, a 2.2 ROM + a kernal (so I can over clock as I think you need a ROM and a kernal not just a ROM) and then over clock... with the path of least resistance of course as I have had my fill.

Upvote 0
QUOTE=Lock-N-Load;1311041]is that in here? if not, where might it be and can I read about it?

I want to do a baseband, a 2.2 ROM + a kernal (so I can over clock as I think you need a ROM and a kernal not just a ROM) and then over clock... with the path of least resistance of course as I have had my fill.[/QUOTE]

Bbv0.4 seems to be best as far as I am concerned. It comes with a 800 kernal preinstalled. Its what I use except I chose to use p3droids newest kernal listed in my signature. You can find bb in rom manager as well as the baseband he created under the bugless beast section. As for kernals they are like everyone says different according to what your phone can handle. Some can't take the highest speeds some can't take the lowest voltage. A good starting place for kernals is 1gig. You can find them in this site under the kernal sticky or rom manager (rom manager doesn't have them all though). If you flash a kernal that your phone doesn't like it may hang on you. If it does pull battery and use x button method to do a nandroid restore no big deal. I haven't seen anyone who couldn't handle a 1 gig kernal though.

Upvote 0
sounds good to me

and just out of understanding & curiosity, when you download his "froyo kernels" do you get a bunch to select from and you just try different ones or do you get 1 kernel that has the ability to go to from like 250ghx to 1.xx ghz and you use SetCPU to set your high and low based on what is stable for you?

Upvote 0
i have had rom manager screw up on me a number of times, you might want to directly download the roms

I have had problems with installing through Rom Manager->ClockworkMod. For me it's been a crap shoot. Sometimes it installs without a hitch, sometimes it doesn't.

Lock n Load, I would suggest downloading everything to your computer first, then mount your Droid and transfer the files to your SD Card, placing all files onto the root of your card. Not necessary to rename anything. Then go into Rom Manager and select *Install from SD Card*, find the file and continue the process.

If you don't want to do this with SS or any other ROM, I would most DEFINITELY recommend doing this with kernels. If you try installing a kernel that your Droid cannot handle (like 1.2Ghz or something like that), it will likely cause a boot loop. If that happens, you'll want to be able to pull your battery and boot back into recovery mode and try another kernel that is not quite so fast and try that. Otherwise, you'll have to take the time to restore to your previous ROM and start all over again. It's worth putting 2, maybe 3 kernels on your SD card just as precaution.

By the way, I think Chevy's kernels are the best. :)

Reactions: Lock-N-Load
Upvote 0
I would most DEFINITELY recommend placing a few kernels on your SD card. If you try installing a kernel your Droid cannot handle (like 1.2Ghz or something like that), it will cause a boot loop. You will want to be able to pull your battery and boot back into recovery mode and find another kernel that is not quite so fast and try that. Otherwise, you'll have to take the time to restore to your previous ROM and start all over again. It's worth putting 2, maybe 3 kernels on your SD card just as precaution.

I cant believe I have not thought of this before :eek:
I have always restored ... this would be a big time saver

Upvote 0
I have had problems with installing through Rom Manager->ClockworkMod. For me it's been a crap shoot. Sometimes it installs without a hitch, sometimes it doesn't.

Lock n Load, I would suggest downloading everything to your computer first, then mount your Droid and transfer the files to your SD Card, placing all files onto the root of your card. Not necessary to rename anything. Then go into Rom Manager and select *Install from SD Card*, find the file and continue the process.

If you don't want to do this with SS or any other ROM, I would most DEFINITELY recommend doing this with kernels. If you try installing a kernel that your Droid cannot handle (like 1.2Ghz or something like that), it will likely cause a boot loop. If that happens, you'll want to be able to pull your battery and boot back into recovery mode and try another kernel that is not quite so fast and try that. Otherwise, you'll have to take the time to restore to your previous ROM and start all over again. It's worth putting 2, maybe 3 kernels on your SD card just as precaution.

great advice...

I like the kernel idea, but where do I get them 1 by 1 and download them from? can I put them in a directory called kernels I make on my SD card?

EDIT: found them here

I might pass on SS 4.6, I saw some screenshots and not digging the look if that is how it comes. Not sure if it was themed? I kind of want stock 2.2 look, so maybe wonder if the new BB is best for me + some chevy's kernels to try. I decided I am ready to do this now just trying to decide which one.

Upvote 0
I COMMITTED.... couldn't help myself - first try is BB 0.4

in process right now of restoring data + apps from MBP as the ROM took fine it seems :)

once I get apps + data squared away and all set and working, I will do SetCPU to 800 mhz and then kick back and check out Froyo's new features and decide what I want to do for a kernel to push the 1ghz+ barrier

Upvote 0

in process right now of restoring data + apps from MBP as the ROM took fine it seems :)

once I get apps + data squared away and all set and working, I will do SetCPU to 800 mhz and then kick back and check out Froyo's new features and decide what I want to do for a kernel to push the 1ghz+ barrier

congrats! fyi petes bb rom is set to govern itself. it ramps up to 800mgh under demand then back to 250 at idle. its one of the thinngs i love about this rom. did you ever get your signal strength back?

Upvote 0

Here's my advice on overclocking. You really will only need to go through this longer process once, but it's a good idea to get a feel for what your phone does and does not like.

First of all, start with a kernel. I recommend Chevy's, but JDFLG and P3Droid both have great kernels as well. Chevy's have always just been more stable for me.

First, make a (nandroid) backup of your current setup. Then install the lowest voltage kernel possible. ULV is ultra low voltage. You ideally want to run at the lowest voltage your phone will accept to retain battery life and keep heat to a minimum.

I would try a ULV 1000MHz first. If you have SetCPU, go into it and set the maximum to 1000. You may want to set some profiles for when the screen is off - that is lower the maximum speed to 400 or so - again to retain battery. Use the phone for a little while to see if it is stable. If you get random reboots, or if the phone boot loops after installing the kernel, then your phone does not like ULV at that speed.

From here, you can do two things. You can either lower the speed of the kernel in SetCPU, download a lower maximum speed ULV kernel, or try a LV kernel. The voltage is a bit higher on LV, so it's more likely to be stable at the same speed. Try the same speed again, but with LV instead of ULV. Flash it over the old kernel and see if it's stable.

Basically, rinse and repeat with different speeds and voltages until you find a combination you're happy with. From my experience, MOST Droid's are stable with a ULV at a minimum of 800Mhz, and MOST are stable LV at around 1000. If you get into the 1100-1200 range, some phones will hate the lower voltage and require a medium kernel.

You'll just have to find a balance that you like. Be careful - you may get addicted to increasing the speed when you see how much more awesome the phone gets ;). A few months back I was "happy" with 800. I'm up to 1200 now. I just can't stop.

Also, if you don't want to do all the testing, mix and matching, you can just start off with a LV of modest speed like 1000. It will almost definitely work. Or you can just go straight for medium voltage which should almost certainly be stable at any speed your Droid will take.

I know this was a lot of rambling, but I hope it gives you a general idea of what to look for when you're overclocking.

Oh ya - don't wipe anything when you install a kernel, but make sure you have one stable nandroid backup first. You can flash kernel over kernel as many times as you want without wiping anything too, so you don't necessarily have to restore a backup if one doesn't work. Just boot into recovery and install a different kernel.

Reactions: Lock-N-Load
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones