• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of switiching to Android

mweiland

Jun 17, 2010
SE, PA
I've spent the last few days searching about a dozen websites and forums for info on android phones and still have a few questions if anyone's up for answering them. A lot of what i've read is kind of conflicting.

The only smartphone i've owned is an iphone 3g that i picked up the day it launched. I have a pre-order in now for an iphone4 but to be honest, i'm not even sure i want it. There are a lot of things about at&t, the iphone os and itunes (and apple for that matter) that i can't stand but the problem is, there are also things i really like. If i can get those few things from an android phone, i'll more than likely cancel the pre-order and pick up a Droid X or Droid 2.

I have a gmail address but don't use it. I'd prefer not to switch everything over from my existing addresses (i have a handful of them). I've read a lot of negative opinions about how android handles non-gmail email and the iphone is really pretty simple. Have there been any improvements in 2.2? Have the opinions i've read made it seem worse than it is?

Media is a big one. The ipod part of an iphone is really slick, other than being limited in video formats. I've read about a media player for android called doubletwist but opinions seem to be split 50/50 between 'it's great' and 'it sucks'. Any other options?

Build quality. In my experience, the iphone is pretty solid. I'm using a slider case and i've dropped it from about waist height on concrete more than once and never had a problem. What's the opinion on Moto phones?

I've mostly used my phone for news apps, web surfing, email, mms and the ipod (music and video). I really dont' even use it that much as a phone, which works out great for an iphone... I've actually relied on the dropped calls and constant static as an excuse to get off the phone many times. I'll miss that.

So, if anyone's still here after that wall of text, is it worth switching?

Personally, i'll never have a pc i didn't build and i can't leave an os or gui alone on anything without tweaking it somewhere. Considering that and my hatred for itunes and having to sync, i'm probably better off with android. It's really only those few concerns holding me up.

Thanks for your time and any responses.

To be honest, It all depends on what you value the most in a phone.

You said that media is a "big one". I use double twist on my Evo, but I have to admit, that it pales in comparison to the iphone. Yes, the iphone is limited in codec support, but pretty much every video download site has an "ipod" format that you can use for your iPhone. And iTunes has become an iconic media giant in of itself that is unmatched by all of its wannabe competion... even Zune Marketplace, which I prefer. SO, if media is your thing, go with the iPhone 4.

Android phones ar big on user customization, letting the user customize how they want to use their phones.

As far as email goes, thats your call. I had 2 gmail accounts before I ever got an Android device. So it was a natural transition for me. Android does handle other POP/IMAP email accounts but I don't know how well it does it because I use gmail.

As far as build quality, Can't really answer that one. That's like asking whether or not Microsoft PC's have good build quality. Microsoft does not build PC's. Several different companies make them with MS OS. Same with Android. The build quality of the phone will very by manufactorer and model. You will have to chose an Android device of your choice and read as many non-biased reviews you can find.

Overall, you have to decide what more important to you in a phone, and whether or not you want to spend the next two years beholden to the Cell Carrier (AT&T in case of the iPhone) and phone.

Me, I invested in an Anroid device even though it lacks the media ecosystem of an iPhone. However, I am hopeful that Google (they probably will) will design a PC client software that allows you to easily access and send your gmail, youTube, Google Calendar, and other media and sync seamlessly with your android device. Google hinted that this was coming and you'd be able to do it via the cloud as well, so I have my fingers crossed.

My advice to you is to calm down and wait. Wait about 2 months after the iPhone 4 is out, so you can find out what its vulnerabilites really are before you jump back on that boat. By then there should be more info available as to what Google has planned and you can make a better decision. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply.

i canceled my iphone pre-order not long after posting. looks like a lot of changes are coming to android in the next update or two and i'd really like to check out the droid x in person.

verizon killing the unlimited data plan is a concern though... as much as i hate at&t, i'm grandfathered in for unlimited data there.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply.

i canceled my iphone pre-order not long after posting. looks like a lot of changes are coming to android in d dthe next update or two and i'd really like to check out the droid x in person.

verizon killing the unlimited data plan is a concern though... as much as i hate at&t, i'm grandfathered in for unlimited data there.

Sourse for vzw killing unlimited data???

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones