• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

this happened when the URL changed

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    ok just in case someone else had this happen to them. ever since the name change to the website url, i could not access the site. i thought the site was down due to the changes that has been going around. but nope. it had been flagged by my router as malicious. i had to turn off the advanced security from the router. as soon as i did that, i can now access the site.

this all happened since the change in url......curious as to why my router thought this site is malicious......anybody know? is there a way to fix it from happening again? i would like to turn that feature back on at some point.

Upvote 0
    Then why on earth have several places flagged it? Something suspicious in the code somewhere? It's not to do with the forwarding from the old site, because going directly here does the same thing. Perhaps there was a previous owner of the domain name who used it for scams?

Why change name anyway? It worked fine. Who changes from a properly named site to something tagged onto another one? You wouldn't go to microsoft.btinternet.com !

Upvote 0
    Who changes from a properly named site to something tagged onto another one? You wouldn't go to microsoft.btinternet.com !
    Apples and oranges. Fourm.example.com is hardly the same as microsoft.example.com! Using a "forum" subdomain for a website's forum is hardly unprecedented! It's a very common practice (and this is the fourm of EarlyBird.club). However, useing a "microsoft" subdomain looks like a phishing site.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I was meaning if microsoft didn't have their own domain name and used a free one from their ISP. Or what about this, would you rather use the services of johnsplumbing.com or johnsplumbing.btinternet.com?

Androidforum.com was easy to remember and find. Why suffix it with earlybird? What does earlybird even mean? Sounds nothing to do with discussing phones. If I search for android forum on google, I find a rival site now.

Anyway I won't be using this for much longer unless they fix the phishing claim. I'm having to go to another computer to access this site, as I'm not compromising the integrity of my main one because someone can't set up a web site properly, bought it from a dodgy company, or does something else on the side we don't know about.

Upvote 0
    so these are the threads rob started and explains why the name change and why these forums needed a change:

we have not heard from @Rob yet as far as what if any more needs to be done. i can almost guarantee you that the work is not yet over. and the issue again is with routers and any security programs that are installed on computers that will flag the url ".club" as malicous. you have to change and allow the extension to be recognized.

Upvote 0
    earlybird.club does not trigger AVG, forum.earlybird.club does.
    earlybird.club appears to be a company. Is Rob renting space from it? Is this company dodgy in some way?
    For now I'm believing AVG....

I had a quick look and I've read those before. Is there info in the waffle somewhere? I can find no reason for the change.

Upvote 0
    But why was it flagged? Something must have been set up funny, or maybe some mass emails were sent from the domain etc. All I know is AVG virtually never blocks things it shouldn't, so something is fishy here. And since it's many pieces of software and routers saying the same thing, it's not a mistake. Rob needs to correct his error, then contact all the places flagging it.

Upvote 0
    But why was it flagged? [...] And since it's many pieces of software and routers saying the same thing, it's not a mistake.
    The flag was for phishing. If there's no phishing on EarlyBrid.net, then the flag was a mistake, a false positive. It happens!
    Something must have been set up funny
    Possibly. Perhaps Rob overlooked a step he was supposed to take when switching the domain name, and that made the security systems think that something else was going on.

Upvote 0
    Androidforum.com was easy to remember and find. Why suffix it with earlybird? What does earlybird even mean? Sounds nothing to do with discussing phones. If I search for android forum on google, I find a rival site now.

Anyway I won't be using this for much longer unless they fix the phishing claim. I'm having to go to another computer to access this site, as I'm not compromising the integrity of my main one because someone can't set up a web site properly, bought it from a dodgy company, or does something else on the side we don't know about.
    the goal of the change is to not only get people who have android phones. it is to broaden the forums scope. now yes, the name change has created problems with access to the site. and yes this is why the forums are not as active as they have been.

there is nothing nefarious about the url, but for some reason securities have flagged it. i do not know why this is the case. my only hope is that @Rob is on the job hunting down a fix.....so if you can bear with it for a little while longer.

Upvote 0
    The flag was for phishing. If there's no phishing on EarlyBrid.net, then the flag was a mistake, a false positive. It happens!

Is phishing suspected when a site redirects to another one?

Possibly. Perhaps Rob overlooked a step he was supposed to take when switching the domain name, and that made the security systems think that something else was going on.

I shall suggest to AVG it's a false positive.

the goal of the change is to not only get people who have android phones. it is to broaden the forums scope. now yes, the name change has created problems with access to the site. and yes this is why the forums are not as active as they have been.

What else is the forum going to be about?

Upvote 0
    The expert infinite wisdom @ Xfinity thinks it is a risk, they still have it flagged.

'Course we all know about the wisdom of Xfinity .....

sneer

Upvote 0
    The expert infinite wisdom @ Xfinity thinks it is a risk, they still have it flagged.

'Course we all know about the wisdom of Xfinity .....

sneer
    "Hey.. We are x finity, oops we did not meant to have a cross in the logo of ours, why does that bother you, oh you want great high speed internet, for what? Sorry hahahaa... We tend to rip off other companies and in android fixdations...."

Upvote 0
    Hungry Food GIF

i don't know....waffles are pretty good. going out for brunch tomorrow and i am planning on having some strawberry Belgium waffles......LOL

the problem is that when it comes to this site and its future, nothing is set in stone yet. everything could change tomorrow. the conversation is still on going, though delayed it may be. have not heard from @Rob about what is going for a while now.

here is a quote
    Rob said:
    Android Forums became one of the largest websites on the PLANET by building a community of tech early adopters that loved tracking, testing, and discussing the best new tech. For over a decade, Android dominated tech headlines, but here’s the thing: times change and we’re not just Android fans. We’re tech enthusiasts with a wide variety of evolving interests.

why earlybird? i have no idea. i do not remember the conversation about it, if there was one.

anyways i would still recommend reading those threads i linked earlier. you can even join in on the conversation. maybe @Rob will chime in.

Reactions: treb1797
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones