• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

this happened when the URL changed

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    ok just in case someone else had this happen to them. ever since the name change to the website url, i could not access the site. i thought the site was down due to the changes that has been going around. but nope. it had been flagged by my router as malicious. i had to turn off the advanced security from the router. as soon as i did that, i can now access the site.

this all happened since the change in url......curious as to why my router thought this site is malicious......anybody know? is there a way to fix it from happening again? i would like to turn that feature back on at some point.

Upvote 0
    If I search for android forum on google, I find a rival site now.
    Perhaps that's for the best. Let this forum embrace its new role, and let the other Android forum be the web's premiere Android forum. Why have two Android forums competing with each-other for users, when we can have one united Android forum? If this new role doesn't work out: There's still the option of merging with the other Android fourm.

Upvote 0
    Androidforum.com was easy to remember and find. Why suffix it with earlybird? What does earlybird even mean? Sounds nothing to do with discussing phones. If I search for android forum on google, I find a rival site now.

FWIW when I search Google this site still comes up first, and a rival one is second.

AF.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Perhaps that's for the best. Let this forum embrace its new role, and let the other Android forum be the web's premiere Android forum. Why have two Android forums competing with each-other for users, when we can have one united Android forum? If this new role doesn't work out: There's still the option of merging with the other Android fourm.
    Well I say f-that. This site is not done yet. I'm sure @Rob is hard at work behind the scenes. Patience people, patience.

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    Well I say f-that. This site is not done yet.
    You want to have sex with this website? You must really love it, and have a really odd sexual orientation!

But seriously: What I propose is merely a contingency plan, in case the re-branding of this forum doesn't work out. A way to keep this site operational and relevant (by merging with another site), if it comes to that. I do believe that there's enough remaining interest in Android, for the Internet to have at least one Android forum!

Upvote 0
    This site is still being blocked by my ISP months later. Like many other members I was not keen on the idea of disabling my ISP's VirusSafe settings (whitelisting is not supported).

I tried using Tor Browser as a workaround but found it incredibly difficult to post messages. Then I found a better solution: I changed my browser's DNS server. Firefox for Android doesn't support this but Chrome-based browsers do. I use Kiwi browser because it allows me to move the address bar to the bottom - a feature inexplicably removed from official Chrome.

Upvote 0
    I am on a computer using Torguard with no problems.

I also use Firefox and will change the DNS, (I am not using my ISP DNS) to see if that works,

I tried my normal desktop short cut before coming here and Xfinity is still blocking it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, just changed the DNS and will see if it makes a difference when I turn off the VPN shields

Upvote 0
    Have you contacted the ISP about this?
    Yes, the usual "if you think this site was blocked by mistake" form. Needless to say there was no response.

While using my Windows PC the other day I noticed that in addition to being blocked by my ISP, Avast Antivirus also blocks this site due to suspected phishing. A double whammy!

Upvote 0
    Nope, DNS change did not work, same O same O.

I do not visit everyday as I must cloak my connection to get here and I run some other apps that do not play well with a VPN. One is a live tv app that runs in the background while I am surfing that I listen/watch.

I am sure I could set it up to recognize my VPN but that is too much trouble, I just close that one and a couple of others that have ID requirements to run and visit this place and one other that I sneak into and then turn the VPN back off.

I have noticed that Xfinity blocks many more things when I have the shields up with the dangerous site message .... Idiots !

Upvote 0
    I found the forums unresponsive last night and a reboot gave me a page can't be loaded error. It seems that the added problem of the site certificate expiring yesterday had the site inaccessible for me. I tried this and that off and on though the day and finally had success when I installed the Firefox browser that identified the cert problem and gave me the opportunity to ignore it. Sadly, I see that the expired cert has kept most everyone from logging in.

Upvote 0
    I agree Fox. We have a fragile active member base as is. Only the dedicated (and addicted :)) remain. They managed to sidestep security to be here since the name change. The browsers I use gave no clue to the problem. Fortunately, I talked to @NightAngel79 that said his browser reflected the cert problem. That gave me hope or I wouldn't have tried so hard to get in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones