• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Androidcurious

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2010
Edit:

I've since exchanged the device. This thing is AWESOME. I don't have any lag at all.

I still find the speaker a little too low but I've managed to work with it.

Now if I can just find a means to disable the brightness toggle in the notification shade I'll be completely happy with my new device. :)

Wow. I've had the VZW Note 4 since 10am this morning (I'm coming from an LG G3).

It's...slow! What the hell? There is a noticeable time gap when multitasking between apps. It's slow to recognize taps too. I'm pretty shocked. My entire interest in changing from the G3 is that I thought the 805 chip would better handle the higher res screen. The G3 practically screams compared to this phone.

This is probably the single most frustrating aspect of Android phones. We can smirk at iPhones and their 1 gig of RAM all we want, but those things absolutely fly (not interested in a flame war, use whatever device is best for you, yada yada).

Also, the speaker is terrible. Just terrible.

I'm gonna give it a day or so but right now I'm not seeing any reason to go with this phone over my G3.

P.S. Yes, the screen is GORGEOUS. Hardware has a premium feel. Fast charging with this huge battery is awesome.

I feel where you are coming from... i wouldnt call it slow, just not iphone 6 quick.. in terms of touch and screen scrolling.. there is just that slight bit of lag thats just enough to annoy you.. also when opening some apps, and having to tap things more then ounce a lot.. idk lol it has to have to do with all the shit they pack in this thing lol..

Upvote 0
Speaker is okay, but not terrible and not one review has described that way. Usual Samsung special.

Three conference calls yesterday, I had to pick up the phone and use the earpiece each time in a room by myself.

I have not had the heating problems you've described with the G3. This is one of those scenarios where everyday usage would seem to outrun what the specs suggest should happen.

Upvote 0
I feel where you are coming from... i wouldnt call it slow, just not iphone 6 quick.. in terms of touch and screen scrolling.. there is just that slight bit of lag thats just enough to annoy you.. also when opening some apps, and having to tap things more then ounce a lot.. idk lol it has to have to do with all the shit they pack in this thing lol..

This is pretty much it. For me I was expecting a noticeable jump from the LG G3. Ain't no jump. In fact, at moments the LG is actually faster.

The experience is disappointing considering just how much I want to love this phone. The screen is hands down amazing, you *want* to interact with it. The feel of the phone is so much better than anything Samsung has ever produced, it's the sweetspot between a premium feel and still not having to worry about the back of the phone (COUGHiphoneplusCOUGH).

That lag though. And speakers. It's not even that they're on teh back, which is still a stupid design decision by manufacturers, it's just too damn low.

Upvote 0
I am way out of the loop.... but I thought you were cancelling your order?? What changed??

Trying it out three days and seeing if the card issues impact my apps. Some devs updated and said the issue is corrected.

Must admit the size is bugging me. Nice device, but the size is bugging me. Also not sure about battery life, but will hold opinion for now.

One word I would not describe the device is "slow".

Added:

Just to make sure I am not going nuts, I have not found one review stating significant lag on the Note 4, but find many stating lag issues on the G3. The G3 is Nickleback and the N4 is Led Zeppelin.

Upvote 0
Trying it out three days and seeing if the card issues impact my apps. Some devs updated and said the issue is corrected.

Must admit the size is bugging me. Nice device, but the size is bugging me. Also not sure about battery life, but will hold opinion for now.

One word I would not describe the device is "slow".

Added:

Just to make sure I am not going nuts, I have not found one review stating significant lag on the Note 4, but find many stating lag issues on the G3. The G3 is Nickleback and the N4 is Led Zeppelin.

That would make sense considering you could probably listen to half of "Stairway to Heaven" before an app opens back up when multitasking. ;)

I don't know what your threshold is for "significant." A 2-3 second gap between touching the screen and the device registering a reaction is slow to me. Those specs are too good for the phone to run the way it does. While I was in the store I even played with the new Sony phone. Zippy as hell. The N4 is laggy and too often jittery. Which is a first for the Note series, I've owned 2 and 3 and they were easily among best in class for the years they were released.

Upvote 0
That would make sense considering you could probably listen to half of "Stairway to Heaven" before an app opens back up when multitasking. ;)

I don't know what your threshold is for "significant." A 2-3 second gap between touching the screen and the device registering a reaction is slow to me. Those specs are too good for the phone to run the way it does. While I was in the store I even played with the new Sony phone. Zippy as hell. The N4 is laggy and too often jittery. Which is a first for the Note series, I've owned 2 and 3 and they were easily among best in class for the years they were released.

Please show me one review from a credible media source stating the device is slow like you say. As far as the G3, reviews have pointed out it does lag where the N4 does not. Even the G3 lag is not a lot and more to do with the display/gpu throttling that Anandtech went into detail about. The UI lags because it is in Qhd resolution and the 801 is at its ceiling with that res content. The 805 on the other hand was designed for Qhd.

Upvote 0
Please show me one review from a credible media source stating the device is slow like you say. As far as the G3, reviews have pointed out it does lag where the N4 does not. Even the G3 lag is not a lot and more to do with the display/gpu throttling that Anandtech went into detail about. The UI lags because it is in Qhd resolution and the 801 is at its ceiling with that res content. The 805 on the other hand was designed for Qhd.

Why? I'm not trying to prove anything, this is based on my own usage. I'm not trying to convince or sway anyone of anything, this is what I've experienced. I'm comfortable with my own take on it as I've owned a multitude of phones across all platforms.

Unfortunately my initial experience with the N4 has not been positive.

Reactions: thirstypirate
Upvote 0
My experience with both phones side by side - the speaker on the G3 is not better than the N4. Loudness is comparable - but I the N4's speaker seems to have more dynamic range than the one in the G3. I also don't experience slowness with the N4 at all - nor do I feel that the G3 is slow either. One noticeable thing where the N4 is much faster than the G3 is when you are zooming in and out in the camera app.

However, one thing that bugs the hell out of me on the G3 is that I find the screen to be far less responsive than the N4 or any of my Samsung phones. This is the first LG I've ever owned, and I am not impressed with responsiveness of the touch screen.

Upvote 0
I"m not completely sure why folks are being so combative and defensive about my comments. This is meant as my own personal experience with a device I've owned for approximately 2 days. Perhaps it's a lemon, I was contemplating exchanging it.

As for the LG G3, my comparison was made simply because I've owned and used that device daily for work and personal since August. I can only attest to the fact that I use what I use, and I know what I know about what I use.

Speaker: I've used the phone for several conference calls, the volume was low. I can hear my LG across the room while on it's back. Same goes for notifications, several of which I've missed on the N4.

Slow/lag: I've often found both that it takes several taps for the N4 to register, and opening an app can see a pretty decent delay.

So maybe either the phone is a dud (the unit I have, not the line as a whole) or my expectations for the 805 chip with this screen were too high. I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone that they shouldn't enjoy theirs if they're experiencing something diffferent.

Upvote 0
This is pretty much it. For me I was expecting a noticeable jump from the LG G3. Ain't no jump. In fact, at moments the LG is actually faster.

The experience is disappointing considering just how much I want to love this phone. The screen is hands down amazing, you *want* to interact with it. The feel of the phone is so much better than anything Samsung has ever produced, it's the sweetspot between a premium feel and still not having to worry about the back of the phone (COUGHiphoneplusCOUGH).

That lag though. And speakers. It's not even that they're on teh back, which is still a stupid design decision by manufacturers, it's just too damn low.
The G3 is a slow mess beside my Note 4. My Note 4 is considerably faster and smoother and had a consistent frame rate Vs my G3.Im OCD about lag too and the G3 drives me mad!

Upvote 0
OP, have you enabled developer mode and turned off animations? The reason TW seems to lag is because of all the cheesy animations, plus it's waiting to see if you're actually going to do a long press for home screen settings so it waits for a second or two. I wish there was a way to disable that as well since we can get to that by pinching the home screen!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones