• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Time for a change of ROM?!?

Well... I have to say, I'm less than impressed... It's just not booting! :(

Tried to reflash the ROM, but same problem... boots to a black screen... nothing... can't actually be bothered. Gonna just restore for now and go back to Vanilla Android tomorrow. May even give Jelly Bean a go!

A fair number of people have reported the issue. It appears to be an issue with AROMA (which I seriously do not like). When you get to the last step where is asked you to reboot, you should select no a reboot instead from 4Ext or CWM.

I used 4Ext and rebooted from AROMA so maybe the problem only affects, CWM.

Upvote 0
A fair number of people have reported the issue. It appears to be an issue with AROMA (which I seriously do not like). When you get to the last step where is asked you to reboot, you should select no a reboot instead from 4Ext or CWM.

Well it worked fine after using your tip ral not to reboot from aroma, but to reboot from 4EXT.......thanks.:D

Reactions: ral and scotty85
Upvote 0

i dont like it either. i personally thing aroma is a PITA. maybe im old fashioned,but id rather have a couple different base versions,or flash mods manually as .zip file. :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
i dont like it either. i personally thing aroma is a PITA. maybe im old fashioned,but id rather have a couple different base versions,or flash mods manually as .zip file. :)

Same here, it really is a pain sometimes. One of the older Blackout sense 3.0 ROMs had it, and the buttons on aroma didn't work properly (you had to press about an inch above them for it to work) and when I flashed the ROM I just got stuck in a boot loop.

Nearly every single ROM for the Galaxy S3 has Aroma, and it's marginally better but still I would much rather just have the ROM as is and then I can customise it if I want to

Upvote 0
I just has to plug that
Same here, it really is a pain sometimes. One of the older Blackout sense 3.0 ROMs had it, and the buttons on aroma didn't work properly (you had to press about an inch above them for it to work) and when I flashed the ROM I just got stuck in a boot loop.

Nearly every single ROM for the Galaxy S3 has Aroma, and it's marginally better but still I would much rather just have the ROM as is and then I can customise it if I want to

Oh things have not changed so much. When I started my my install I was using the nice touch controls. Halfway in they stopped working, so I had to go back to the gold old volume rocker + power button system.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy Tab on CM9. Sorry I just had to plug that :)

Upvote 0
Okay... what are these UnOfficial CyanogenMod10 Nightlies. There is no stable, so why are their Nightlies?

the way "official" cm roms work,is that they are community built from source,then automatically compiled by buildbots for download. some changes may make things better,some may make thigs worse,on nightly builds :eek: they are also known as "experimental"

when the nightlys reach a certain point,they become an RC or release canditate. after the RCs become fully functional and stable,they are then stable releases.

these are unofficial,becasue while compiled from cm source, they are not supported on the cm website,and are not part of the tree to automatically compile the builds,and thus, not "community built". they are built by one dev(or possibly a small group of devs) and compiled on a home machine.

id assume the rom dev will eventually follow suit with cm style releases,and once his build becomes functional it will eventually get RCs and stable releases.

another possibility is that cm will pick that dev as a maintiner,and add his builds to the tree. thus making everything "official",and available on cms website for download.

hope that answers your question :)

Upvote 0
Installed Virtuous Infinity v1.33.0 Alpha 3. Thankfully not a whiff of AROMA anywhere.

I was expecting it to lag a lot since it runs Sense 4. Was surprised at how well it ran, and Virtuous Sense Tweaks can make it run even faster. Still it is not the ROM I would take with me to a "Smoke by Windows Phone" challenge.

I like that I can switch to an AOSP type task switcher.

Am not liking Sense 4 all that much. I like it a lot less than Sense 3.6 or Sense 3. Maybe I just need time to get use to it.

Upvote 0
Was a bit too tired to write details last night. But I find Sense 4 terrible confusing (which is strange since I have been using Sense for so long).

HTC Twitter client - I cannot seem to find a setting for how often it will sync. It is just set to sync. When I sync manually, it does not sync enough Tweets so I have to refresh manually.

Also on Twitter, I cannot save a default "Share" option. I normally share everything with pocket.

Before I used to set it to sync every 4 hours and get the latest 50 Tweets and that worked fine for me.

I find the new system of Personalization visually more "spectacular", but hard to use. Before it was open menu - select app - select widget. Now it is scroll through all widgets or search by name.

That being said, VI is a more polished ROM than Blackout. VI remaining issues appear to be more of scaling. Weather animations are broken on landscape. Some widgets occupy an awkward portion of the screen when resized.

Blackout has universal issues on multiple and long SMS. Multiple SMS can be fixed with a third party client like Handscent. I get a less stable 3G signal with Blackout, and GTalk does not reconnect when the signal comes back. Google Chrome works better with VI too.

If I have to recommend one as a daily drive at this stable it would be VI. If they were both working perfectly well I would go with Blackout. I prefer Sense 3.6 and the Sense 3.x widgets. The new ones with the white background just seem to glare at me too much.

If Sense 4 is the future, I might as well go AOSP.

Sorry, going a bit OT here.

Upvote 0
ral thats interesting insight coming from someone who likes sense.

i personally kinda like sense 4,as i like some if its little visual ui traits- for example,i love how menu scrolling makes the boxes come apart when you get to the end of the list :D

i never use any of the sense widgets other than flip clock,so i never noticed the things you brought up. i can deal with the stock sense launcher since it lets me chagne the apps.

sense 4 i believe,is also "dumbed down" a lil from other versions,and i actually get better battery life with it than 3.6 on other devices :eek:

i keep getting distracted with things,maybe today ill finally get a chance to give my poor neglected inspire some love :D

Upvote 0
ral thats interesting insight coming from someone who likes sense.

A lot of it is subjective. But I like Sense dark theme widgets. Easy on my eyes. Some may prefer the white text on the dark background.

No problem, plenty of third party widgets I could use... than I would not need Sense.

i personally kinda like sense 4,as i like some if its little visual ui traits- for example,i love how menu scrolling makes the boxes come apart when you get to the end of the list

It's cool, but if it simply stopped moving that it fine with me.

sense 4 i believe,is also "dumbed down" a lil from other versions,and i actually get better battery life with it than 3.6 on other devices

With Sense 3.6 I lost the ability to configure my own power saver settings. Same with Sense 4, now Twitter has to be update manually. I used to set it up to update every 4 hours.

I read Twitter updated during short down times. When I have time a look at what is there. Now I have to update, wait, than read. If I stuck with Sense 4 I would to the Official Twitter app.

Sense 3.6 has advantages over Sense 3.0 (which tends to reload the next appointment, agenda and people widgets constantly), so I can live with it.

Sense 4 has more eye candy... but so far I see no tangible advantage. Yup, battery life on Sense 4 is pretty good as far as I can tell. Have not used it long enough to see whether it is better than Sense 3.6/Sense 3.0.

i keep getting distracted with things,maybe today ill finally get a chance to give my poor neglected inspire some love

Jellytime Beta 16 looks interesting. Me, I am headed over to Nero XL. Unfortunately I found out that a new version will be released quickly (downloading ROM's is no fun on 512 kbps) right after I downloaded version 2.0.. I really need to update my DSL connection. It is just that I never needed faster speeds since I don't download much.

@D-U-R-X

So, what are you running now?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
NERO 2.0... okay. A bit disappointed. This ROM was updated on August 25, 2012.

Lets get back to that. It is an Android 4.04 ROM with HTC Sense 3.6. Not many Tweaks so it looks like a stock Sensation XE ROM. Daemon Controller was the only thing added, but you have to download your own OC Daemon.

Okay, like Blackout, this ROM is not fully working.

Group SMS bug
Long SMS bug
FM Radio not working
Chrome exhibits some erratic behavior...

...same as Blackout ICS.

On the other hand, the 3G signal is more stable with the 26.14.04.28_M Radio. The interface also feels slicker. A touch sensitive maybe, interpreting vertical swipes as horizontal ones.

Okay, so I have used three ICS Sense ROM's in the past two weeks. If you are looking for a daily driver Virtuous Infinity is it. I do not like Sense 4. Going back to a Sense 3.6 based ROM felt so good.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
One more observation. I noticed that Blackout ROM seems to support under-volt setting in the Deamon Controller with the andrev_oc daemon. Virtuous Infinity and NERO 2.0 do not. All three ROM's are based on the same kernel.

Maybe that is why my UV settings on Blackout do not stick?

Really much prefer Sense 3.6 or 3.0 to Sense 4, so I am hoping for a more bug free Blackout ICS or NERO 2.0. Had to cut my NERO 2.0 use short. The screen sensitivity settings are just causing me two many wrong inputs.

Back on good old ARHD 6.3.3 and seeing what I can do about auto brightness. Still a great choice despite being Gingerbread based. Was thinking of trying Virtuous Affinity. Or maybe I should just be patient and wait for BlackOut ICS 3.1, NERO 2.1 or Ice Cold Sandwich 8.6.

At some point in time, this addiction to flashing gets old, stops and ends right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones