• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Time for a change of ROM?!?

Not really. After settling on ARHD as my DD, I was always looking and wondering if i should make a move.. But yeah, I'm still addicted to roms and flashing :) although less than I could be if CM9 was here...

CDPlant mentioned in this thread that Android Revolution HD was the best Sense 3.0 ROM, while Virtuous Affinity was the best Sense 3.5. If you like ARHD, I think you will like Virtuous Affinity.

Actually, the two feel almost identical. Both use the virtuous_oc daemon and are over clocked and have voltage settings below default. VA adds Sense 3.5, the main benefit for me is the ability to reduce home screens from 7 to 5. I filled up to of my windows with apps, simply not to leave them blank just so as not to leave the empty. But this essentially recreates my app drawer.

You also get Virtuous Tweaks, so you have rosie options, can configure your quick settings menu and have brightness mods all built in. All in all, it is a pretty polished ROM.

Sense 3.5 is rather interesting. I think it is the most "complicated" version of Sense. I am still digging through it but one set of settings already have me stumped, the power saving options.

In the quick setting menu, you have a "Power Efficiency" option. I really do not know what this does, other than affect the level of screen brightness. Ironically, after I set up the auto-brightness options of the phone in Virtuous Tweaks, enabling "Power Efficiency" makes the screen brighter :rolleyes:

The is the even more confusing "Power Mode" in in Settings ---> Power which gives you three options:

• High performance ---> I do not know what this does.
  • Normal ---> I do not know what this does.
  • Economy ---> This allows you to enable the "Power Saver" mode which we
have with Sense 3.

Still reading up on Sense 3.5 as I write this. I cannot find a resource that explain alls this too well.

You also have Sleep Mode which allows you to set a time of day when the 3G setting will be off when the screen is off (good for times when we are asleep). There is an automatic setting, but I do not know what this does.

HTC says that you should "Select (it) to automatically switch HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio to Sleep mode. HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio adjusts its Sleep mode schedule over a period of time around what it detects as your bedtime."

There is a discussion here about these settings at the Rezound thread. Stil confused though.

Overall, I find Sense 3.0 or 3.6 as the most balance. Sense 3.5 is a bit complicated. Sense 4 leaves you with too few options.

Upvote 0
i keep getting distracted with things,maybe today ill finally get a chance to give my poor neglected inspire some love :D

finally! last night i flashed the ruu for my factory att rom,installed the htcdev hboot,and 4ext recovery. been using jelly time,but decided to give the unofficial cm10 nightlys a shot,since black impulse is taking forever to download :rolleyes:

since the things about sense 4 i like i mostly visual,i figured "sense 4 lite" may be right up my alley :D

Upvote 0
I just consolidate what others have written.

Really like VA, a bit more than ARHD for the following reasons:

a) Dropped homescreens to 5.
b) I can remove the spinning carousel when I unlock the phone.
c) I can reduce the number of items on the quick settings menu and reorder them.
d) Most importantly, the low brightness setting in Virtuous Tweaks is perfect for me. Less glare and in the process giving some pretty impressive battery life.

My new "return to ROM".

With Ice Cold Sandwich 8.6 almost out (some XDA members got copies to Beta test), and most like a updated version of the Blackout ICS or NERO 2.0 coming out, a lot more things to do during the weekends.

Its back to work tomorrow so, VA gets at least four days :D

There is still a few hours today, but that goes to the latest CM9 nightly on the SGT.

ha!

if youre lucky,you just stick with one phone!

Technically, its not a phone.

Upvote 0
I thought 8.5 was the 'final final'?

You do get three strikes before you are out. :)

With 720p video capture working, I think it was just too much for LC to resist. Ice Cold Sandwich is the "standard" AOSP/AOKP DHD ROM's.

Will give I've Cold Sandwich another go when 8.6 is out. Maybe I can find a way to keep more stuff in its RAM.

Upvote 0
Ice Cold Sandwich 8.6 is out:

What's New
updated hosts file
updates to dalvik, bionic and libcore
updated Youtube, Gmail, Maps, StreetView and GalleryGoogle
updated qcom_display and frameworks_base with fixes
fixed Camera app issues
removed BOARD_USES_LEGACY_TOUCHSCREEN build flag due to updated touchscreen driver in kernel
fixed issues with latest Google Play Music and YouTube - thanks Existz for the tip
updates to Email, Mms, Music, Settings, DeskClock and Browser apps
updated kernel to 9.9
- updates to touchscreen driver to be 100% compatible with ICS
- updates to kgsl driver
- updates to genlock driver
updates to jpeg, zlib and gtest
small fixes all around
Removed precompiled Phone and QuickSearchBox, added back GoogleSearchBox because of REL incident
I hope tablet mod UI isn't compromised with Phone FC
ROM should be 720p rec ready, but not the kernel, so you can test existz's or synergie's 3.0 kernels
Unfortunately AOKP stopped whole development for ICS so no new features added
download and flash 10.0 kernel after flashing this: http://blackice.omca.co.uk/download/...not tested LOL

What's Working
FM Radio (with Spirit FM app from play store, select ICSPlus in settings)
Everything else "should" work
AlienMind Overlay Script
To have your apps and scripts etc automatically installed during ROM flash place them in:
sdcard/overlay/system/app/ (for system apps)
sdcard/overlay/system/etc/init.d/ (for scripts)
etc

What's Broken
Video Camera - only 480p mod is enabled and usable
MMS (doesn't work for some users)

User feedback:

ICS 8.6 - BFS 10 TUNmodules kernel

Fast, stable, not laggy, working 720p video recording.

Upvote 0
fofa5e.png

Upvote 0
I'd have a go....could be used as a daily ROM me thinks. With every release it just gets better. Still can't believe HTC think the DHD can't handle ICS or come to think of it JB.

It is really Sense that slows things down, and the proprietary and carrier apps that leave the HTC Desire HD without enough system storage for an update.

I was not terribly impressed first time I used Ice Cold Sandwich (version 8.5) My only reluctance in switching ROM right now is ICS 8.6.1 is giving me some amazing battery life. With 3G connected the whole day and Google sync active plus Twitter syncing every four hours I am getting 18 hours of uptime, with 2:53 hours of screen on time wit 29% battery life remaining.

My benchmark for battery life with previous ROM's is 3 hours of on screen time would be basically send my phone back to the charger. With ICS 8.6.1 I got 3 hours + 15 standby (thats about 30-35% of my battery life).

Still, I do have a Nandroid back-up and I am flashing ROM's at the rate of one every 4-5 days so... :D

Upvote 0
JellyTime RC4 is out... maybe I will sit this one out. I probably have flashed way too many ROM's since I stated out in the last week of July :D

ARHD 6.3.3*
CM 7.2
ICS 8.5
BlackOut ICS 3.0*
Nero 2.0
Virtuous Infinity 1.33 Alpha 3
Virtuous Affinity 2.0.5*
ARHD 7.04 (to compare witn VA 2.05)
ICS 8.6.1

A few nandroid restores along the way. The ones with * are those that stayed on my phone for 7 days or more :D Short stays on my phone are more reflective of the schizo personality of the owner than the quality of the ROM.

I think ICS 8.6.1 deserves an *

Upvote 0
One you get used to it, and realize it is fairly safe if you have a nice stable Nandroid bacj-up, and stay aways from Radio's... FLASH, and if does not work out... RESTORE.

not so long ago
= 45 days of :smokingsomb:

You wouldn't have thought that (not so long ago) you only just rooted!!

Yeah but in another thread I advised someone to "format all partitions (except SDCard)" who went the htcdev unlock route :(

Upvote 0
One you get used to it, and realize it is fairly safe if you have a nice stable Nandroid bacj-up, and stay aways from Radio's... FLASH, and if does not work out... RESTORE.

= 45 days of :smokingsomb:

Yeah but in another thread I advised someone to "format all partitions (except SDCard)" who went the htcdev unlock route :(

thats not really a big deal. more than likely,the kernel wouldnt have wiped for the same reason it wouldnt have flashed- permanent cant write to(and therefor wipe or format) the /boot partition.

some of the older devices that hve been "retrofitted" with an htcdev compatible hboot after the fact are quirky... i only said might be good not to do it that time in the very,very small chance that the phone was able to wipe boot,but not flash it. yuo still gave good advice on that thread. and were very helpful with flashing directions in the other :cool: :smokingsomb:

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones