• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips and Tricks for the Moment

-Keep in mind that your phone is using the ever-more common 'Micro USB' hub for charging and linking. This means that you need-not pay more for a Car/USB/Wall charger specifically designed for the Moment.
I noticed that the A/C to Micro-USB charger that came with my moment says that it outputs 0.7 amps at 5 volts. However my generic A/C to USB type A charger (it can charge most USB devices with the appropriate data cable) outputs 0.5 amps, and my understanding of the USB spec means that PCs do this as well.

Does this mean that the moment can be charged 40% faster with the AC charger that came with it? If the battery indicator was more reliable I'd attempt some experiments.

Upvote 0
...Does this mean that the moment can be charged 40% faster with the AC charger that came with it? If the battery indicator was more reliable I'd attempt some experiments.
Yes, it seems that the wall charger does charge faster than the USB charger. That's the reason for the 1st section under "battery life" suggesting that you fully charge with the wall charger, then after that finishes, hooking up the USB charger. And I really don't know how much of a difference it actually makes, but it's the general consensus that the contributors of the Possible Battery Quirk seemingly have come to agree on.

Upvote 0
Since this seems to be a general Tips n Tricks for the Moment, I will post something that really helped my GPS functionality on my Moment here. Although someone else actually posted it deep in a different GPS thread, I wanted to consolidate and summarize it here- in the Tips n Tricks thread..
So... GPS has been really horrible on these phones for a lot of people- including me- to a very bad extent.
I read that if you turn on your Wi-Fi, it really helps your GPS. And it really made a huge difference for me. Turning on my Wi-Fi has made my GPS lock on my accurate location every time since doing that- even inside my house!
I am talking about the Wi-Fi selection under the Wireless Controls settings option. (although I do also have "use wireless networks" and "enable GPS" selected under the Security & Location settings option also.)
Because I DO believe that having my Wi-Fi turned on ALL the time will create a significant drain on my battery, I also downloaded a nifty lil app from the market that allows me to turn my Wi-Fi on and off with the simple press of an icon on my Home Screen. The one I got (and really like) is called WiFi OnOff. I just turn the WiFi on before I juse a GPS based app/ service and then use the lil button to turn it off when I'm done using the GPS.
Using Wi-Fi has really helped my GPS work better, and that app has really made it very simple to turn the Wi-Fi on and off very easily, thus saving my battery when I don't need the Wi-Fi.

FYI, the same creator of the Wi-Fi OnOff app also makes an equally convenient matching icon for Bluetooth OnOff that I use all the time to turn off my Bluetooth if I know that I won't be using my Bluetooth at all that day.

I use an app called toggle settings, it has the gps, wireless, bluetooth and ringer all 4 switchs can be put on your screen

Upvote 0
Does this mean that the moment can be charged 40% faster with the AC charger that came with it? If the battery indicator was more reliable I'd attempt some experiments.

It also depends on whether or not the Moments mini-USB port manages the input power. I don't know if anyone tried using a multimeter or not yet on the cord while the phone was charging. That would be an interesting little experiment.

Upvote 0
It also depends on whether or not the Moments mini-USB port manages the input power. I don't know if anyone tried using a multimeter or not yet on the cord while the phone was charging. That would be an interesting little experiment.
No experiment needed.. There is a stepped recharge profile built into the battery code... I made sure to stay clear of this when i redid the new files since it doesn't really seem to be broken (spareparts is outputting the correct voltage of ~4.2V so it seems to be getting a full charge)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add that not all Micro USB Chargers will work with it. Yes, it will charge, but if you want to open up the phone, some may not.

I came from Verizon with the envy 2 and it, too, used a micro usb charger. However, as it wasn't a sliding phone, it did not need a "slim" connector. When I used the charger for my envy 2 on the Moment, the slide did not work perfectly (it was interfering with the sliding, making it very tough to open and probably not good for the phone).

And actually, connecting the phone to your computer is very easy (for me, much easier than taking out the SD card, as the battery cover isn't easily removed)

To connect to a mac computer, do the following steps (borrowed from another site). It should work similarly on a PC:

Turn on USB debugging ("Debug mode when USB is connected"). It will recognize that a USB connection now exists.

You'll get a dialogue with the title "USB Connected" and the text "You have connected your phone to your computer via USB. Select 'Mount' if you want to copy files between your computer and your phone's SD card." It offers options of "Mount" and "Don't Mount". Touch "Mount".

A removable drive will appear in Finder (or on a pc, in My Computer) called "No Name". That's your Micro SD card and you can begin copying files. You'll need to unmount the card for applications on the phone to have access to it. There should be a folder on your SD card that is "My Music" or something similar to that.

Upvote 0
I got a new bluetooth headset which has a micro usb charger. When my phone was completely drained, I tried plugging it into this charger. The "Battery Charging" thing came on screen, then immediately went away and said something like "Charger Disconnected" before going black. This repeated a few times. So I'm guessing that the amount of current supplied by that charger is lower than the amount necessary to even maintain that powered-off "charging" screen. So yeah, not all micro-usb chargers are equal.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to stop the audible click & vibrate on the on-screen keyboard? I had turned it off before the software upgrade, but now it's back & I can't find a way to get rid of it.

Thanks

Menu->Settings->Sound & Display->Audible Selection

I can only figure out how to turn the vibrate on/off using Spare Parts "Haptic Feedback" option.

Upvote 0
Most of the task managers have an auto-kill list that you can add apps to and they'll shut down as soon as they're seen. However, make note that a lot of people think that you shouldn't shut things down as (A) they're running for a reason and (B) it really doesn't make much difference to your phone. In fact, it might be more waste of processor and battery to continually shut something down than to just leave it running.

Upvote 0
To use Google Voice to dial out, don't use the Google Voice app - it will use a random # to dial out, which defeats the purpose of GV.

Instead program your GV contacts with the Google Voice #, such as:

Your GV # + "," + "4 digit PIN" + "," + "2" + "your GV contact #" + "#"
eg - 555-201-1234, 1234, 2, 555-501-3456#

Upvote 0
To use Google Voice to dial out, don't use the Google Voice app - it will use a random # to dial out, which defeats the purpose of GV.

Instead program your GV contacts with the Google Voice #, such as:

Your GV # + "," + "4 digit PIN" + "," + "2" + "your GV contact #" + "#"
eg - 555-201-1234, 1234, 2, 555-501-3456#

What would be the benefit of doing that? This is the method that a few of the WinMo 'calling card' type apps use. But it takes longer, and I can't imagine doing that for all of my contacts manually. It's even a bit of a pain to store the (406) number for texting with Handcent.

Upvote 0
Here's a tip: buy a microSD to SD card apater, and use that to transfer ringtones, files, etc to/from the Moment to your PC. You'll save a ton of grief over problems with phone drivers, poor cables, etc etc.

I have never had to connect my phone to my PC. I simply take out the microSD card, plug it into my PC with a SD card adapter, and voila I can transfer contents over seamlessly.

Exactly much easier and it works flawlessly....I add the Free RINGDROID App and now I can capture any of my own MP3 songs and use it as my Ringtone! ....WAY KOOL!:D

Upvote 0
No experiment needed.. There is a stepped recharge profile built into the battery code... I made sure to stay clear of this when i redid the new files since it doesn't really seem to be broken (spareparts is outputting the correct voltage of ~4.2V so it seems to be getting a full charge)

Does this stepped recharge profile ever allow a current draw that exceeds 0.5 amps from the USB port?

Upvote 0
Does this stepped recharge profile ever allow a current draw that exceeds 0.5 amps from the USB port?
We dont know much about the charge profile.. a lot of it is outside the kernel module.. the only parts i have seen are the control checks to output levels to the os dependent upon state... I just know it is a stepped profile tho because it changes at different levels apperently

Upvote 0
Nuance Voice Control - Default prompt mode seemed extremely sensitive and buggy, almost useless, even going through training. I used Verizon Voyager for 2 yrs with no issues. Changed to "EXPERT" and Nuance works flawlessly now for me.

Just open Voice Control from the apps tray, and then select Menu, and choose Audio Mode.

Thanks I'll give those settings a try see how it works...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones