• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmobile prepaid smartphone used on a Tmobile postpaid plan?

aashian

Lurker
Aug 17, 2012
I was wondering if its possible to buy a cheap Tmobile prepaid smartphone (not activate it) and use it on a Tmobile postpaid family plan? can i just stick my sim card from my (old regular cellphone) from my postpaid into a prepaid phone and it will work? all i want is talk (calls). my family has only talk on a family plan. i dont care about using texting or the web (data plan). i DO want to use texting (with google voice?) and web using wifi. has anyone tried this or know that it works for sure? you may be wondering why i dont buy one with an offer and the answer is i dont want to be bogged down with a 2 yr contract with a data plan.

Thanks for any help!

I had a similar question. I wanted to buy an unlocked GSM Galaxy S3 from Amazon and then sign up for T-mobile's prepaid 4G 30 dollars unlimited date and 100 minutes plan.

This will work? I just want to be doubly sure before spending so much on the phone.

You need to make sure it as the frequencies to run on T-Mobiles network. T-Mobile uses a 1700mhz frequency that most GSM phones don't seem to have. Since the 1700mhz frequency is used for 3G/4G, you will have slow data speeds if it doesn't support the frequency.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones