• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help to root, or not to root?

Should I with a stock 2.3.3? I really want ics and a completely bad ass phone... suggestions??? Good phone or upgrade??

I'm on my 3rd G2x, this is by far the best one, but all of them have really only given me a one month honeymoon period. After the first month, it gets really crappy.

Now rooted, so we'll see, I think I got another week before the honeymoon ends.

It's a fairly badass phone as is. It may (probably will? - odds look good) get an OTA update to ICS. Unless you need or just want to root for other reasons I'd wait and see if you are gonna get ICS by OTA update.

What are you basing the odds looking good off of?

As far as I know, LG has only confirmed that some of their phones will be getting ICS and the G2x was not one of them.

The Optimus 2x was...and they JUST got Gingerbread! (It released almost a year ago.)

Reactions: dherrington
Upvote 0
What are you basing the odds looking good off of?

As far as I know, LG has only confirmed that some of their phones will be getting ICS and the G2x was not one of them.

The Optimus 2x was...and they JUST got Gingerbread! (It released almost a year ago.)
LG has confirmed the 2x (aka G2x) will definitely get ICS. Since the G2x runs vanilla (almost) Android, ICS for the G2x should be fairly simple. Taking those factors into condsideration I just figure the odds of an OTA update to ICS are probably 50/50 or better.

Reactions: dherrington
Upvote 0
LG has confirmed the 2x (aka G2x) will definitely get ICS. Since the G2x runs vanilla (almost) Android, ICS for the G2x should be fairly simple. Taking those factors into condsideration I just figure the odds of an OTA update to ICS are probably 50/50 or better.

It took them over six months to get us Gingerbread, almost a year for the European version.

I hope I'm wrong, but doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

Also LG has gone on record stating that the "G2x is further from stock than the 2x."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones