• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help To those that say not to use a task killer...

Headcase_Fargone

May 21, 2010
...bollocks says I.

I turned task killer off last night and set it to not load on boot, then rebooted my phone. It had been up for 167 hours and awake for over 100 of those. Promptly after rebooting it was put in a drawer for nine hours overnight.

I get up this morning and what do I find for battery usage?

Up time: 9.5 hours
Awake time: 9 hours

Sitting in a drawer.

...bollocks says I.

I turned task killer off last night and set it to not load on boot, then rebooted my phone. It had been up for 167 hours and awake for over 100 of those. Promptly after rebooting it was put in a drawer for nine hours overnight.

I get up this morning and what do I find for battery usage?

Up time: 9.5 hours
Awake time: 9 hours

Sitting in a drawer.

This should tell you that there's an app/apps that are causing this bad battery performance / awake time, and you should be addressing the problem apps, and not blanket killing all apps.

It's been proven over and over again that if you eliminate the SOURCE of the drain, you don't need to use task killers. There are plenty of us who don't use task killers, and we don't see crappy awake time.

But... it's your phone. You can task-kill all you want.

Upvote 0
Oh I've been looking for the drain alright. Just can't seem to track it down. I really don't have all that much installed in the first place...

Try using the Spare Parts app to check partial wake usage. I removed my task killer after about a week of owning the phone. At best, a task killer is useless, at worst, it kills processes that actually need to be running.

Upvote 0
What exactly does the partial wake lock tell you? Just installed it but it's a bit cryptic. For instance, partial wake usage since last boot (last night) shows Android System as 1m 34s total time. What exactly does that tell you?

Partial wake lock tells you what is keeping your phone from going to sleep when the screen shuts off. It means that Android System has kept your phone awake for 1 minute and 34 seconds when it should have been sleeping.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones