• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Too many contacts deleted???

Termin8

Nov 23, 2009
When I got my new Eris, the Verizon guy offered to swap my contacts from my old phone to the new one (as usual). He did so. After getting home, I noticed he'd also downloaded all the accumulated contacts 9mostly crap) from my Google Mail account as well. I went and deleted them all but now I keep getting a notification saying that I deleted TOO MANY??
It then gives me three choices, one of which is delete them. The notification keeps coming back.

Ok, just got back from the Verizon store. The guy copied my contacts from my old phone AGAIN. He explained why my contacts disappeared like this:
I had deleted the "crap" contacts from my phone, and then deleted EVERYTHING from my Gmail account online. The next time the phone sync'd to the Gmail account, it dumped the contacts in the phone because the Gmail account controls what's on the phone. As long as they're sync'd that is.
So, now that I know this, I'll just keep tabs on my contacts on my Gmail account, and that way it is a constant backup for the phone.
There REALLY is a learning curve going from a standard cell phone to one of these PDA/smartphone things.

Upvote 0
Hello,

as you might try to delete your Google Contacts as a solution to this problem, you are likely to fear complete data loss. As I have a similar problem, as you guys, I looked for an option to export the Google Contacts. As I found one, it is also easy and fast to use.

Open your GMail Account, and select the "Contacts" link in the left part of the page (either above or beneath your labels, as you configured it). The opening page has Export and Import buttons on the top right. There you can export all contacts to *.csv files and similar and save them as a file on your PC.

So, if You have to delete your contacts on your GMail account, there seems to be this way of regaining them all, as you need and wish.

Hopefully, this helps somebody!

Bye

PS: Warning: I didn't import my Google Contacts, yet. So, please, be careful on relying on this feature!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones